Friday, April 4, 2014

D is for De-Cluttering

Today's word for reflection is de-cluttering.

Hear me out.  Think about how calming it is when visual clutter is removed.  Your surroundings seem much more peaceful when there is little clutter to distract.

The same is true for our minds.  When my head is filled with regrets, bitterness and hurts, how can I concentrate on loving God, my family and friends? All my energies are consumed with thoughts of what should have been, and wishing I'd said this or done that.

Let me give you a couple examples.  A person did something that hurt and embarrassed one of my children. Then there was another person who repeatedly hurt my best friend.  Now, I can take when you hurt me.  I get over things pretty quickly.  But, when you hurt someone I love, things are a different matter.  For days upon end, I stewed about both situations.

Did either one of those persons know I was upset or expending so much mental energy on them?  Of course not.  They both were living their lives, unconcerned about the destruction taking place in my mind and spirit.

It's been said that bitterness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.  I was only hurting myself with being occupied with their dastardly deeds.

Also, regrets about the choices you've made over the years will sap the strength out of you just as much as dwelling on hurt.

Why not make the choice to leave the past behind?  You can't change it anyway!

As the apostle Paul once said, "leave the past behind and press on ...."

Every time a hurtful thought comes, make the decision to put it in your mental trash pile - right where it belongs!




This post was written in community with the April A-Z blogging challenge.  To read others' work, go here.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more but both my husband and son are clutterbugs. Cleaning/decluttering is kind of like an exercise in diplomacy around here. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking every thought captive into the obedience of Christ Jesus! Isn't it sad how we waste so much energy on such things!! Working on this area myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally think I need to de-clutter some things in my heart/mind. I do great de-cluttering junk around my house, but I leave too much junk in my heart that shouldn't be there. Great D word!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to get rid of clutter. I'm always sorting and pitching stuff around here. Never thought of de-cluttering my mind, though. Very good analogy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.