Wednesday, March 20, 2013

In Which I Admit I Got Scared.



I had a bad night last night.

Even though I knew better, I allowed fear to creep in and squeeze my heart with anxiety.

Do you ever have times when fear sneaks up and blindsides you?

I know I should be on guard at all times because that sneaky devil loves to ambush me, and his favorite time is in the middle of the night.

By the time he is done with me, I'm convinced I will end up widowed, homeless, and jobless.  It's pretty pathetic the misery I can conjure up with just my imagination, no doubt, fueled by the whispers of the enemy. 

I know better.  I really do.  In the light of day, I quickly did these things to make me feel better:

  • Remind myself of who God is.  He is the lover of my soul, the all-sufficient one, my Jehovah-jireh who provides.  He is my Jehovah-Rapha, the Lord who heals.
  • Remind myself of what God has done in the past. He has been with me countless times before and worked everything out.  Why would He let me down now?
  • Remind myself of what God has said. Dwell on His Word.  I consider this part of seeking the kingdom of God.  If you know His Word, and know what His will is for you, then you can stand on His promises .  

"And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you. Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Luke 12:29-34



I love the way the Message translates this passage:




“What I’m trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don’t be afraid of missing out. You’re my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.
 
He knows what you need. Don't fear.  It is His pleasure to give His children the kingdom.  The word translated pleasure means to think well of, approve an act, willing. If you seek Him, He is more than willing to give you what you need ... when the time is right.


I'm going to remember this the next time the enemy tries to take me down with fear. 

What do you do when fear ambushes you?  


I'm adding this to my Fearless series, and




to the community at Tell His Story.  You can find them at Jennifer Dukes Lee.

6 comments:

  1. yeah, that fear thing is awful...but sometimes fear comes in forms you couldn't even predict. You are right...God's Word is our answer and also His Word drives fear away. Very good post~ Just remember all the times the LORD has kept you when you didn't even know you needed kept or protected! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the Message worded that.

    The middle of the night gets me the most too. :-( I can think of the craziest things, things that will disappear with the rising of the sun. I try to to concentrate more on the rising of the Son even in the middle of the night--He's always there. Thanks for sharing this, Jerralea. It helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post on a subject that I think we all struggle with.

    I have a couple of "go to" verses that I quote out loud whenever fear starts creeping up on me.

    I remind myself that perfect love casts out fear, and that God has not given me a spirit of fear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes, know this well too.

    Here's what I do, once I realize I'm in its grip: (a) remember Jesus -- I use the Jesus Prayer (b) remember that no matter what happens God is with me. That consoles me and comforts me so much fear no longer has any power. Most of the time anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do I do when fear comes in? Well, too often, I first have a complete freak attack. :)

    But then, praise Jesus, He reminds me I am His.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, night time is the worst for me as well. I tend to let fear trickle in and soon I can't breath because of the anxiety! I can imagine the worst things. Then I tell my husband I am afraid...With all the love in his heart he asks me "Are you relying on Jesus to protect "so and so" or are you just leaving them to the enemy?" I begin to pray that the Lord forgive my slip in faith and to help me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.