Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thankful for Traditions

Traditions make each family special.  It gives a sense of belonging. I thought I would share a few of the traditions we have always done.

We tried really hard when the girls were growing up to always eat together.  The family table is a very important time of bonding.  It was the one time of the day when we all sat down together.  There might not always be a lot of talking going on (remember those days of teenage hormones?); or we might talk and laugh for an hour or more.  My favorite thing of all is those evenings when we laughed together until we cried. Many family stories came out of those times of eating together.

Another tradition we have always done concerns Christmas Day.  Before any presents could be opened, Dad read aloud the Christmas story out of his bible.  Each year, the girls took turn being Santa and passing out all the presents from under the tree. We each took a turn unwrapping presents so that every one could see what was given.  We always had a birthday cake for Jesus as part of our meal.  We would light a candle and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus.  We wanted the girls to know that Christmas wasn't just a day to get presents but to remember that "Jesus is the reason for the season."

Our Thanksgiving Dinner tradition is that each person at the table must tell at least two things for which she is thankful before we eat.

These are just a few things that I feel are special to our family.  I'm thankful for the traditions that make us "the Millers."

What is a tradition that you feel sets your family apart?





All during the month of November, I will be sharing my gratitude for all God has given me. I'm joining Joyful Reader on her Giving Thanks Challenge at her blog, Encouragement for Daily Bible Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.