Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thankful for My Grandmas

Grandma Sybil with her first Granddaughter
Today is Day 7 of the Giving Thanks Challenge, and I want to honor two ladies who had a big part in my life.

My Grandma Sybil was a wonderful lady and I loved her.  She taught me the importance of taking care of your appearance.  She thought it was important how you appeared in public. (She would have been appalled to see how people dress in Wal-Mart!)

She was crafty and liked to create.  She sewed little outfits for her granddaughters when we were little. Having had four boys, she was always interested in things "girly."  I remember being fascinated with a pair of shoes she had, gold with jewels on the toes.  Grandma liked bling!

Grandma's great desire was to have her boys live right.  Her dying wish really impacted my father and I think it is one of the key reasons why he decided to give his life to Christ.

I have written about my Granny Violet many times.  Her love was hospitality.  She loved nothing better than having people come for dinner. I can remember eating at Granny's table many many times.

Granny Violet
Another thing she loved was to play games.  Scrabble was her ultimate favorite and she would play it every day of her life if she could find someone to play it with her. She also would play Bingo and Authors with us kids for hours on end.


If there was simply no one to play a game with, then she'd open up her little paperback word puzzle book and do word searches.

Granny was a charter member at our little church and she lived to see their 75th anniversary. She was faithful to attend, faithful to give and faithful to pray.  Many times when I spent the night, I could hear her praying - it seemed she prayed all night long!

I thank God for the influence my grandmothers had in my life. 


Encouragementfordailybiblereading



All during the month of November, I will be sharing my gratitude for all God has given me. I'm joining Joyful Reader on her Giving Thanks Challenge at her blog, Encouragement for Daily Bible Reading.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, my grandmothers were a great influence in my life when all else seemed dark. One of my beautiful grandmothers now lives with me! I wish I had room for both of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.