Friday, October 19, 2012

Day 19 - Be Encouraged - You've Got A Friend

"Image courtesy of chrisroll / FreeDigitalPhotos.net"
Friends are very important and one of God's greatest blessings - there is no doubt of that.  However, in today's culture, especially among the young, one's peer-group can have unnatural influence.  So often young people haven't learned to filter their friendships to discover the identity of their TRUE friends.

The child of God can be encouraged because he has the truest and most reliable friend ever - Jesus Christ.

John 15:13-15 (KJV)

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.


Jesus certainly could have made us His servants for we owe Him our very lives, yet instead He chooses to call us friends! 

Proverbs 17:17
A friend loveth at all times ...

He loves us even on our worst days.
Proverbs 18:24
... and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
We always feel we can count on "blood-kin," but sometimes we have friends that we are even closer to than relatives.  Jesus is the friend that sticks with us through good times and bad, when we are riding on top of the world or sunk in the deepest pit.

I was thinking about friends and Carole King's famous song, "You've Got A Friend," came to mind.  I'm pretty sure Carole didn't write it about Jesus, but hey, the words can be used to fit Him perfectly!


When you're down and troubled
And you need some loving care
And nothing, nothing is going right
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest night

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend

If the sky above you
Grows dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind begins to blow
Keep your head together
And call my name out loud
Soon you'll hear me knocking at your door

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there

Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend
When people can be so cold
They'll hurt you, and desert you
And take your soul if you let them
Oh, but don't you let them

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend

(Written by Carole King)

All you have to do is call - He's always listening.  Be Encouraged:  You've got a friend.


If you'd like to read the entire 31 Days of Encouragement series, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.