Sunday, July 15, 2012

In Which I Remember This World Is Not My Home

Today, I heard David Jeremiah's radio broadcast - "Route 66 - Driving the Word Home."  At the end, the announcer said, "Start your journey home today."

Jerralea's Journey is all about the journey home!  There used to be a fellow in our home church who used to testify, "This world is not my home, I'm just a stranger traveling through.  When life gets too intense, it's helpful to remember the fact that this life is not all there is.

This morning, our Sunday School class went over this scripture:


1 Peter 2:9-11 (HCSB)

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood,
a holy nation, a people for His possession,
so that you may proclaim the praises
of the One who called you out of darkness
into His marvelous light.
10 Once you were not a people,
but now you are God’s people;
you had not received mercy,
but now you have received mercy.
11 Dear friends, I urge you as strangers and temporary residents to abstain from fleshly desires that war against you.
Two thoughts occurred to me: 

Twice today, I've been reminded that I'm a "temporary resident!" Is God trying to tell me something?


Secondly, this passage tells us that our purpose is to praise Him.  Our job is just to praise Him. It's not hard to do.  Everyone can do it.  You don't have to have special skills or a degree.  You just need a grateful heart.


So ... get to work!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jerralea...I needed to read this this morning! I love the verses..."you are a royal priesthood". What a beautiful thought. I feel I have disappointed a couple of people, and failed in my duties as a part of God's people. Will you pray for me, that the LORD will turn good for His glory from my own human reactions? I so want to shine forth Christ, especially to non-believers. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite songs...."This world is not my home, I'm just a-passing through, my treasures are laid up a-way beyond the blue....."

    One summer, Jim posted signs in several places in our home that reminded us of this fact. "We are citizens of HEAVEN" (Don't remember the exact wording of the sign) This is a truth we should remind ourselves of often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Jerrealea! In these earth-bound political times, I often think about how I'm a stranger, an alien here, and I ask myself, "How, then, shall I live?" In the midst of all that's going on here, where do I stand?

    Your post answered that: in praise! My job is to proclaim His praises. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.