I'm a firm believer in looking for the good and enjoying whatever stage of life you happen to be in; so, the following are my ideas of the 6 best things about being an adult:
1. Eating what you want. When I became a homemaker, it dawned on me that I could make whatever I wanted for dinner each night! I didn't have to go by the same menu used at home. Of course, a consequence of eating whatever I wanted meant gaining weight.
2. I can stay up as long as I want, I like to read something before bed every night. If a book really grips me, it's hard for me to stop and go to sleep. So, now I can keep reading. If I want to read until 3 in the morning, I can do it. So what if I'm dragging the next day?
3. I can buy what I want. As long as I can figure out how to pay for it, there is no asking if I can buy something. Of course, then I have to take care of it and make room for it and then there's the whole dwindling cash flow problem ...
4. I can go where I want. I'm as free as a bird. As long as I have the means to get there, and as long as I'm back in time for work, I can go anywhere ...
5. I can decorate my home the way I want. As long as it fits my budget and doesn't drive my husband crazy, I can make my house look like I want it to look. (That budget really puts a cramp in my style!)
6. I can dress the way I want. If I don't want to wear a sweater when my mom thinks it is cold, I don't have to! If I think something looks cute, if I can afford it and fit into it, I can wear it ... But then, if it looks terrible on me, I have no one to blame but me.
When I was a kid, I thought being a grown-up would mean you could do whatever you wanted. As a responsible adult, I now realize that isn't quite the case. There are consequences for everything you do, and sometimes the consequence isn't worth doing what you want.
Would I go back to being a kid? No way! I would not want to have to learn my life-lessons all over again.
Although, I do dream of the summer vacations I had as a kid ... no responsibilities and time to play!
Perhaps retirement comes close?
I wrote this post as a response to The Writer's Workshop prompt 5.) List the 6 best things about being an adult. If you would like to participate, join Kathy at Mama's Losin' It.