Thursday, September 29, 2011

10 Things I Would Do If I Didn't Have To Work

I subscribe to Mama Kat's Pretty Much World Famous Writer's Workshop and receive weekly prompts of ideas to spur myself on to create.  Most of the time, I don't follow through.  (Just bein' real.) This week, however, I decided to join in because one of her questions really resonated with me:  "What would you do if you didn't have to work?"  I'm taking this from the angle that working sucks up all my time, so what would I do if I had all that lovely time.  I work two jobs, so imagining adding an extra 50+ hours to my life is a wondermous thought! (Of course, you could look at her question from the position of  "If I didn't have to work, I must have lots of money, so what would I do with it."  I might address that question down the road.)

If I didn't have to work all the time, I could stay at home and never be bored.  There have been different seasons in my life where I did not work outside the home, even times when I stayed home and did not have any children and still kept busy and involved. It's beyond my understanding when people tell me they are bored.  Seriously?  When there is a plethora of things to be created, things to be learned, people to invest in, books to be read, plain old-fashioned work to be done (not for pay, just keeping up one's home), a beautiful world to explore, how can one be bored?

I thought it would be fun to do this in a top-ten list:
10.  I would organize more.  I love to organize - it's kind of a passion.  I have tons of books on the subject, and I love to find new organizational ideas and products on the internet.  My theory is, the more organized I am, the more freed-up I am which leaves more time for other things.

9. I would thrift more.  Going to yard sales, thrift stores and couponing appeals to me because I love to save money. Saving money allows me to buy more bargains.  Which necessitates more organizing. It's a cycle, people.

8.  Repurposing: I love to find stuff and make it useful in another way.  This also feeds into my thrifting and organizing addictions.  I also love to read blogs about said addictions.

7. I would make more time for people.  I'm always so busy that I don't take time to go visit friends or relatives.  This is an area that I'm sorely lacking in and really would love to change. After all, people are most important!  

6. In that same vein, I would also entertain more.  I have never been good at inviting people to my home.  I always had some excuse.  Now that my house is totally remodeled, I'm trying to step up and practice hospitality more often. If I had extra time, I might become a party animal and have guests over all the time ... no, I wouldn't ... but I could do it way more often.

5.  I love to go on roadtrips and take photos of nature.  If I didn't work, I would have lots more time to use my camera.  I'd also take a photography class.  Just because I want to!

4.  I'd also get caught up on scrapbooking.  I have enough supplies and photos to create a hundred albums.  All I need is time to do it. I think scrapbooks are a wonderful treasure to hand down to future family members.  (Of course, I'd have to journal in them as well so they'd know what they were seeing.)

3. Write!  Blog posts, articles, memories, even writing a book would fill a lot of my time that I used to spend working.

2. Read.  I have an insatiable appetite for reading.  If I weren't working, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would carve out time for reading good books (possibly lying in a hammock).  Like every day.  It's just how I roll.

And the #1 thing I would do if I didn't have to work would be to study God's word.  There is nothing you can do that would profit you more.  God is #1 in my life and studying His Word would always be a priority.

The above list doesn't even include other goals and plans for the future - like dreams of actually making myself exercise, learning landscaping, learning Spanish, becoming a violinist, traveling the continent, and my dream of going to Prince Edward Island.  Bored?  Never!


 
If you'd like to share what you would do if you weren't working, visit Mama Kat at Mama's Losing It.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your thoughts. I too, work two jobs and I would love to have more time to write and be with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that if you didn't have to work you would just do the things you are already doing - only more of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great list, those things I'd love to do as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.