Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thankful Thursday - His Masterpiece

Today's Thankful Thursday hostess, Laurie at Women Taking a Stand, has chosen the topic, "We are His Masterpiece" using Ephesians 2:10 as the illustrating scripture:

"We are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago."

I love this scripture! My Sunday School class is right now finishing up our study of the book of Ephesians. I remember when we learned in chapter 2 that the word used for masterpiece, the ancient Greek word "poiema," translated workmanship in other translations, actually means His beautiful poem! The Jerusalem Bible translates it as "work of art."

YOU are a beautiful poem, a work of art! Camp on that thought awhile ...

If you're like me, most days I don't feel like a work of art, but it is a process. God is molding and shaping us into what only He can see as the finished product. Molding and shaping can hurt!

I remember years back, it was popular for church kids to sing the song, "I am a Promise with a Capital P." One line in the song goes like this: "I am a great big bundle of potentiality!"

God alone knows our potential. It is an exciting thing for those of us who have been His child for awhile to look back and see how far we have come in this process of becoming what He envisions. As Joyce Meyer says, "I may not be what I should be, but thank God, I'm not what I was!"

Today, I'm thankful that He is leading me on my journey to what He has planned for me. I know that He has planned good things for me to do because Ephesians 2:10 says so. I can rest in that even when that molding and shaping is pinching me and making me feel uncomfortable!

To read other thankful hearts, visit Laurie at Women Taking a Stand.



6 comments:

  1. Bless you, I needed to hear this today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was filled with such encouraging words...I like the translation you shared of a beautiful poem...my favorite line was
    "God alone knows our potential."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Glad to see you again this week for TT, I have not heard that song in ages...brought back many fond memories of teaching preschool in my church. We are all just full of awesome possibilities when we allow the Master to take control. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have often said it, too.
    I know I am not who God want's me to be yet. But I am also not who I used to be. And for that, I am thankful!
    He isn't finished with me yet. *whew!*

    I remember singing that song in children's choir. Fun memories. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! I will camp on the idea of me, yes, me, being a poem, a piece of art!

    May your days be a blessing and blessed, Jerri. ~ linda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.