Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tasty Tuesday - Orange Chicken



I've been asked to share the recipe for Orange Chicken that I use. I actually have combined two recipes to come up with Orange Chicken.


First,


8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch strips

2 1/4 C all-purpose flour

1/4 C cornstarch

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp ground white pepper

1 1/2 C water

1 qt. vegetable oil for frying.


Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, white pepper. Add 1 1/2 C water gradually to make a thick batter. (Batter is VERY thick. I'm thinking about thinning it some.) Stir to blend thoroughly. Add chicken pieces, and stir until chicken is well coated. Heat oil in skillet or wok to 360 degrees F. Fry chicken pieces in hot oil until golden. Remove chicken and drain on paper towels.


Orange Sauce:


1/3 C brown sugar

1/3 C orange juice (if diabetic, use orange flavored diet soda)

1/3 C vinegar

1/3 C orange marmalade (use sugar free if diabetic)

1 Tbsp cornstarch

1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce

1/8 tsp. ground ginger


Combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally til it boils, thickens, and clears. Best to use whisk to stir.


Pour over chicken. Bake at 350 for 30 mins. (Or do as I do, and nuke it for about 7 mins.) Serve over rice.
For other fab recipes, visit Jen at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I am definitely saving this one, my family love orange chicken. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!! my family will enjoy this recipe. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost smell it. It really sounds good.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious...I love anything with chicken!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.