Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Victory


Lynn, at Spiritually Unequal Marriage, has chosen Victory as our topic this week at Thankful Thursday, along with this text:


For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? — 1 John 5:4-5 ESV


I totally love this scripture because it gets down to the nitty-gritty. Do you have faith or not? Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God or not?


And if you do, you are an overcomer!


Woo Hoo! Count me in!


I'm at the mid-point of my life where I'm evaluating what's behind and what's ahead. Have I accomplished my goals in life? Do I have anything to show for the life I have lived so far?


On the days where I'm feeling pretty down and feel like I have nothing to show for all the pain and effort I've been through, this verse lifts me up. Because I do have the most important thing that I can ever have -- my faith in God. I truly do believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died for my sins, arose the third day, and now makes intercession for me at the Father's right hand. I've always believed it.


I've never been blessed with any visions or angelic visits or supernatural experiences. I just know that I know.


Actually, I have two important things to show for my life - faith and victory. Since I have faith, the Word promises me I have victory. I don't have to feel victorious. I just know that I am.


Perhaps I won't be able to see the victory until I'm with Jesus, but it's there all the same.


There's an old hymn entitled, "Faith is the Victory." Let me share the third verse and chorus with you:


To him who overcomes the foe

White raiment shall be giv'n;

Before the angels he shall know

His name confessed in heav'n.

Then onward from the hills of light

Our hearts with love aflame;

We'll vanquish all the hosts of night

In Jesus conq'ring name.


Faith is the victory!

Faith is the victory!

Oh, glorious victory

that overcomes the world.


The day I stand before Him and He welcomes me into Heaven is the day I will have the most precious thing ever to show for my life's work.


I'm thankful for my faith. I'm thankful my mom took me to church. I'm thankful that someone cared enough to ask me to accept the Lord as my Savior. I'm thankful I had the good sense to accept!


What about you? Do you have the faith that gives you victory?


To join other thankful hearts, link up with Lynn at Spiritually Unequal Marriage.


9 comments:

  1. I'm thanking and praising God today with yo...
    I love this saying..."I know that i know"!!

    Thank You for coming to my blog
    Blessings
    bernice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me mindful of the lowest point in my life, yet I know that God was still with me and carried me through! He is all we need!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that verse from I John also!

    Thanks for sharing, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I'm so glad that I stopped by here today. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise the Lord I was in the choir singing when I was 4 saved when I was 9 and stand on the word of God Praise God my children know that they are all saved and are going to heaven

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also so thankful that we are victorious in Christ. He has already won the victory! Hallelujah!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thanks for putting up the lyrics to that hymn. I haven't sung it in a while, but it always gives me chills right down my spine when I do - the good kind of chills. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your insights on faith. Pretty important in the Christian life! But even more important than our faith is what/who we put our faith in. We could have faith in a block of wood or a rock, but it would not help us much. It's because of the infinite power and love of the Lord that we are blessed through faith in Him.

    I appreciated the quotation from John Yates's gospel song. Did you know that today is the 172nd anniversary of his birth? If you enjoy learning about hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.