Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What's on Your Mind? '09 Is God in Control?

If God is in control of all things, what is my role?


Since I have made Jesus not only my Savior, but my Lord, I believe my role is to daily seek His direction in my life. If I truly want to serve Him, it's not my plans and purposes that should be first on my agenda, but His.

Psalms 33:11 tells us, "But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations."


His plan will be accomplished, the question is, "Will I join in with Him?" If I do, then I'm assured that my work will be successful.

I think that if I start out my day asking the Lord to lead and guide and then follow any promptings the Holy Spirit may give me, then I will be on the path that He wants. I lean on the following scripture:

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the
LORD: and he delighteth in his way." Psalm 37:23


Sometimes my day does not go so well, in spite of starting out with yielding my day to Him. When that happens, I just feel that even if it doesn't feel like it, God is still accomplishing something with me. Perhaps His purpose was to teach me or someone I come in contact with a lesson, or perhaps things are being set in place that I am not aware of at the time.

I was discussing this topic with a friend (my daughter) and she pointed out something that I think is worth consideration: It takes time to surrender your will to His in different areas of your life. For example, it takes being mature spiritually to be willing to hand over the reins of your will in your choice of a career, spouse, or any other area dear to your heart.

Hopefully as time goes by, His control in my life will be greater, mine less.

If you'd like to see how others answered this question, visit Shane at her blog, Heart Reflections.

3 comments:

  1. Jeri - so true! I love your daughter's comment - it takes time. Doesn't everything worth while in this life take dedication and time? Great reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerri,
    It is so neat to see the the relationship with your daughter. I love hearing how you were talking to a friend (your daughter)! Together you both have a great outlook on the stages of understanding control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerri,
    This giving up control is such a hard process isn't it! Thankfully God is patient. I agree with you that it is a very gradual process, one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.