Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sincerely 'Fro Me to You #6: Passin' Thru Vincennes


In this week's Sincerely 'Fro Me to You, I'd like to share a picture of my mom, brother and me on our vacation. My dad snapped this shot of us standing in front of a road sign in Vincennes, IN, on our way to New Orleans. [This is a favorite landmark of my parents. They always took pictures of us in front of signs. This is actually a clever idea because years later you can remember where you were.]

The reason I focused on this picture is to show you that stirrup pants existed before the 80's. Yes, those are stirrup pants I'm wearing. The year was probably 1966. Also, note the cool Keds I was wearing. I'm not sure but I think my brother had red ones on! I always thought my brother looked like Beaver Cleaver when he was little.

Mom wore a skirt and blouse outfit. Back in those days, I don't remember her wearing pants except around the house or to work. [She worked at a factory.]

I've often heard that fashion trends go in cycles. If stirrups were popular in the 60's and the 80's, looks like we might be due for some more stylin' stretch pants!
For more fashion nightmares, I mean memories, visit Kristen at We Are THAT Family.






10 comments:

  1. I love this photo. Love the fashions and the signage.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually saw a pair of stirrup pants for sale at the mall a few days ago. I'm a child of the 80's and wore them then. Now... they're B-A-C-K.... but I definitely have no plans to go anywhere near them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet photo. I really hope stretch pants don't come back into style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome picture! It's funny how you would fit right into today's fashion. It's really does cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Shane said - stirrup pants are back. I hope they last about as long as the reintroduction of leg warmers two years ago!!

    What a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love old photos like this. Not a trip goes by where I wish we would stop and take photos by city signs.

    I am sorta hoping stirrup pants do not come back. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of photos from family vacations as well! I'm guessing I'm just a couple years younger than you since I remember having stirrup pants before starting school in 1969, and wearing them again in the 80's. I think I'll pass on wearing them if they come back into style but I'm sure my tween will be all over them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I know we are! I saw them at walmart the other day! They were the tight leggings that the girls are wearing now with a stirrup on the end. I just sat there and stared at them in disbelief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack!!! Stirrup pants?!?! Nnnnnooooo! Who looks good in stirrup pants? Almost no one. (Well, except for you in this photo, of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's interesting how often fashions are "recycled!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.