Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Relevant: does it apply to me?

The essence of being a student of the Word is the ability to apply it to your life. In other words, is what I just read relevant? Does it have significant bearing on my journey?



Take the story of Martha and Mary, for example. These were two sisters, along with their brother, who were special friends of Jesus. Jesus often stopped by on his travels and ate with them and spent time at their home.


Martha and Mary were total opposites. Martha was the Type A personality, the hostess, the server, the tireless worker. God love her! We desperately need the Marthas of the world. They get things done. We'd be lost without them.


Thing is, Marthas, by their very nature, can be a little impatient when others don't step up to the plate to help. It's easy, when you're a Martha, to fall into the trap of being self-righteous. "I find time to do all the things," they muse, "why can't you?"


But maybe you're a Mary. Marys love learning. They love sitting at the feet of Jesus and drinking in whatever He has for them. They're oblivious to all the details that might need to be done; their minds are all about concepts and big pictures.

So it was inevitable there would be a conflict. In fact, there had probably been many such clashes of personality. The bible tells us about one such skirmish. Listen in:

38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”
41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42 New Living Translation (NLT)


So, how is this story relevant to my life? I've learned there is only one thing worth being concerned about - and it's not serving a big meal.

Such a relief for a working mother and MiMi to hear! Don't get me wrong; feeding your family is a calling and it is important.

But the thing to be concerned about is this: "Am I listening to Jesus?"

Whatever I have to do so I can hear Him is what I should be doing with my time.

What say you? Are you a Martha or a Mary?

This is post #27 of my "Walk the Walk Christian Living Series," written from the perspective of a recovering perfectionist. You can go here to see the links of each post as they go live.

I'm linking this post to the communities at #TellHisStory and InstaEncouragments Link-Up.




2 comments:

  1. I've always wondered if Martha's love language was acts of service and Mary's quality time. What think you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerralea, I love the story of Mary and Martha. Sometimes I am Mary, and sometimes I am Martha. Scripture IS relevant to our lives! "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." I Timothy 3:16-17 Thanks for these reminders today!

    Thank you for linking up at InstaEncouragements!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.