Monday, August 10, 2026

How I Shifted to Writing Fiction




Dear Readers, my blog recently celebrated its eighteenth blogiversary and my one millionth reader. (I know one million is not a lot for 18 years, but it's still exciting that a lot of people at least read some of my words over the years) 

I started blogging with the idea of relating family stories to preserve for my kids and grandkids.

As time went on, I really enjoyed blogging about insights I had received regarding the Word of God. I began to believe some day I would write either a devotional or perhaps a bible study.

One day, I saw on Facebook that a former creative writing teacher who had visited our church was offering a free Writer's Club online. She would give prompts, and then we would write a story on the prompt and turn it it. We would meet once a week to go over what we had written and she would teach us a nugget about the craft of writing.

I am always up for a challenge, so I dove in and became a member of the club. I absolutely loved it! I was such fun and quickly became the highlight of my week.

I learned there was a reason God had given me such an imagination.

In fact, one story I had written for one of her prompts would not leave my brain. I kept thinking of more to add to the story until I realized, "Hey, this character has a story that needs to be told."

And that is how I made the shift from blogger to fiction writer.

~~

This post was written in response to the prompt, "shift," provided by the Five Minute Friday writing community.

It was also written as Day 6 of taking my reader along a journey with me as I birth my book. I hope you consider checking in daily to see my progress.

~~

I write for believers, but if you are not a believer and would like to know more, visit A Ticket Home. to find the way Home.


Sharing at Five Minute Friday


All photos created in PicMonkey by Jerralea using personal, family and stock photos. Please do not copy. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! One million sounds like a lot to me.
    Congratulations on your 18th blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I would like to follow along with your journey of birthing your book. Where are you posting it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GGG, thanks! I am posting my book journey here on the blog as well as on Facebook and Instagram. You can find me on Facebook as Jerralea Winn Miller, and on Instagram as @jerralea. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Good luck with writing fiction! You can say so much in fiction that you cannot say any other way. It's a blessing. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.