Friday, February 22, 2019

Friday's Fave Five


It’s time to once again to give the Lord praise for at least 5 highlights from my week. There are always blessings, both great and small, if you look for them. Being intentional in being a treasure-seeker actually helps me to remember my week!

1.   I am thankful for inspiration. I’ve been working diligently on my story about Morgan and it has morphed into a trilogy. New characters seem to arrive on the scene daily and it is such fun to clothe them into the little foibles I’ve observed in others over the years. The fun part is to do so where only I know who they are! During this time of working on the trilogy, I’m scaling back on publishing on the blog. Monday’s will be my weekly check-up post and Friday’s posts will be either a Friday’s Fave Five or a Five Minute Friday post (or both!).

2.   Today is day 44 of writing 500 words the first thing in the mornings. Can I safely say it’s a habit yet? I don’t think so, because turning the alarm off and rolling over back to sleep is still a strong temptation for me!

3.   Anything that makes my life easier is definitely a highlight. This week, I made BBQ sandwiches in the crockpot. Such easy meal prep! I tweaked my sister-in-law’s super-easy recipe to fit our taste. Here is what you do: Take 3 good-size pork steaks and coat them with your favorite barbecue rub. Lay them in a crockpot and add 1 C. chicken broth. Cook for 10 hours on low. Take them out and remove bones and fat and drain all juices. Shred with a fork (pork steaks are super easy to shred!). Put the meat back into the crockpot with a generous amount of Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce. (I use about ¾ of an 18 oz. bottle). Simmer on high for about an hour. Yum!

4.   Another thing that makes my life easier is having systems in place to take care of all those things that must be done. When it becomes automatic, it really relieves stress! Two things I’ve struggled with over the years have finally become basically stress free: one is a bookkeeping chore for my work-at-home job – I make myself do it every Sunday night after church instead of letting it mount up to having to take a whole Saturday morning to do it once a month. Makes the end-of-the-month accounting so much easier. The second thing is a struggle with keeping the fridge cleaned out. I would let it mount up and mount up until it was a disaster. Now I have one shelf only allotted for leftovers. I must clean it out on Saturdays after my Aldi run. So much easier! After all, there is no virtue in saving food for a month to throw out instead of throwing out once a week.

5.   Anticipation! I have no meetings scheduled for this Saturday and no huge projects! A free day is an awesome day.

Those are my 5 for the week. What treasures do you see when you look at your week?


~~~

I'm linking up with awesome Friday's Fave Five community as well as with #FreshMarketFriday.


~~~

I appreciate my readers! Thank you for stopping by. I especially love comments, it makes blogging worthwhile.

Would you consider becoming a subscriber? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile. 

7 comments:

  1. It's good to pause and thank God for the things he's allowed to go on in our lives.
    Sounds like 5 good things to be thankful for. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Developing habits definitely takes time but sounds like you're doing well with yours, including the writing. Keep it up and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea for having one shelf in the fridge for leftovers. I'm going to have to try that. Way to go on the writing habit! I need to keep changing things up, and last week I found that setting a timer for just 10 minutes at a time, soon added up to 1,000 new words for my story. It works for me when I struggle with getting started.

    Enjoy your weekend, Jerralea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good start on the writing! I love easy meals, and good routines do help us get those things done that have to get done. Nice to have a free day to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have one shelf for leftovers, too. We use leftovers to pack into our work lunches!! That way there's no Waste. I've also learned to cook less now that we have one daughter in college and the working girl one is not always around for dinner with us. Or she makes something different for herself.

    Loved all your faves!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have both drawers and the bottom shelf (mostly) devoted to our fresh veggies--yes we do eat that many veggies every week. My clean out/rearrange is done after our farmers market run Saturday morning. It does help to keep the food rotating and being eaten, doesn't it?
    I've been reading several people writing that they are organzing and decluttering and scheduling time for various chores. I'm wondering if this is a nudge to remind me that I'd better get doing it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am plagued by that darn sleep button on my alarm clock. Developing new habits is tough but you can do it! Keep going and one day you'll be surprised. That bbq pork sounds easy and delicious! I love crockpot meals on Sundays. Prep the night before and just throw the whole thing in the pot before leaving for church. Yummy. I'm going to try this recipe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.