Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Day 30 - Going Home



"There's no place like home!" Dorothy, in the Wizard of Oz

Mom came back to my hospital room the next day slightly subdued.

“My! Morgan, you have done alright for yourself,” she said as she handed over a tote bag with my clothing inside.

“All your clothes are designer and your apartment is fannn-cy,” she said drawling out the word fancy for emphasis.

I sighed, “Yes, I’ve done alright… But I tell you, that job is wearing on the soul. I’m going to have to pray about continuing there.”

“Well, come back home and spend some time away to get perspective.”

“I believe you’re right, which is why I called my boss and the human resource department to arrange for a leave. Since I’ve never taken a vacation in the five years I’ve been with them, they had to give me a month.”

Unbelievably, Mom clapped her hands and yelled, “Yay!”

“Who IS this woman?” I thought to myself, “I have never seen her excited before.”

Just then the Doctor popped in to say all the tests showed I was perfectly fine and free to go.

As I shook his hand and thanked him for all his help, he said, “I didn’t do anything. I don’t know what this was all about, but the Man upstairs must have had a part in it.”

“I know He did,” I said emphatically.

After he left, I got dressed quickly and got checked out. While I was waiting for paperwork, I made arrangements for us to fly back to my old hometown.

“I’m so excited to be going back after 9 long years,“ I said to Mom. “I want to see Sister Clara, Jamie and Miss Amy.”

Suddenly a thought came to me – “Is Sister Clara still alive?”

Mom said with a laugh, “I truly believe Sister Clara will be here until Jesus comes! She is in her early 90s now but still lives on her own and even drives to church and the grocery store. She doesn’t drive at night though!”

Mom looked at me compassionately as she said, “She was hurt that you left and never sent word, though.”

I looked down at my hands as I clenched them in my lap, “I know I hurt her. I feel bad about it. I was so consumed with my own hurt, I never considered anyone else.”

“I totally understand,” Mom replied, “because that is how I was. I dwelt on the events of that terrible year and never got past it. I didn’t even consider how I was making other people feel with my actions.”

We stopped by my apartment and I packed enough clothes to last awhile, then we were off to the airport. I’d be sleeping in my old room by bedtime!

Jamie met us at the airport and practically drowned me with her tears.


“Oh, Morgan, we’ve missed you so badly. I need you in our pinochle games so I can win.”

We all laughed at that, and then she went on, “Seriously, I felt so bad at not letting you come live with me. I never dreamed you’d run away.”

“Jamie, it’s all for the best. I had to get away and see how far my dreams would take me. I just regret the way I did it.” I said sheepishly. “I know I was wrong to neglect letting you all know I was safe.”

“I think we’ve all learned to be truthful throughout this experience,” Jamie stated firmly, “and this Saturday night, I’m going to start the ball rolling.”

Looking curiously at her, I questioned, “You mean there is more to this story?”

“Tons more,” Mom remarked, “but if I don’t get some food in me soon, I’m going to pass out.”

Jamie laughed, “Always thinking about her stomach! How does she stay rail-thin?”

“It’s a mystery – but one I want to solve after we stop at the diner. Dinner is on me,” I declared. “I’ve been dreaming about Herb’s meatloaf ever since I left home. I want to see if eating it at the diner is as good as take out was.”

Later, Jamie dropped us off at home and I had the honors of unlocking the door and walking back into time. Grandma Rose’s house was just as I remembered!






We are on Day 30 of my serial, Angel on Assignment: The Book of Morgan. Don't miss tomorrow's post - there are still some surprises in store!


If you have missed any of the previous posts, click on the title, "Angel on Assignment" in the upper right hand corner in my side bar. It will take you to a page where you can find all links as they go live.



This serial is not intended to be doctrine. Scripture does tell us angels come to warn, bring messages and sometimes watch over us. It also tells us we could possibly unknowingly entertain an angel. My serial is just me imagining how that might look in our present day and time.

Tomorrow's offering: Loose Ends Are Really Just A New Beginning



This post was written as part of the Write 31 Days challenge. A whole group of writers will be writing for 31 days straight on a variety of topics. Click here to check it out.

~~~

I'm honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking on the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

I'm sharing this post at Trekking Through The Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.