Monday, October 22, 2018

Day 22 - Rejection





A time to cry … Ecclesiastes 3:4 NLT


After I'd begged Jamie to let me live with her, saying, "I can't stay here with someone who hates me," there was a long silence.


Jamie looked at me with sad eyes, “Honey, I don’t think that would be a good idea. I’m your mom’s only friend. She would feel betrayed if I took you in. I’ve worked hard all these years making sure Sharon Rose would never be totally alone. I promised your grandma that.”

Tears prickled at the edges of my eyes and my face grew hot. “You’re right, of course. It was too bold of me to ask.  I know it was asking too much.”

I jumped off the couch and said, “It’s been a grueling day. I ought to get upstairs to bed before she comes back. I don’t think I could take another fit.”

I rushed up the stairs.

“Honey …”

“See you next week,” I called over my shoulder as I got to the door of my sanctuary and locked myself in.

I had never felt so alone in my life as I did in that moment. No one really wanted me. Because of me, young men had died. Because of me, promising young athletes had their careers snatched away from them.

Again and again, mom’s cruel words reverberated in my brain, “If you’d never been born, Joe Lee would still be alive!”

I whispered in the waiting stillness, “I’m sorry, Daddy, I’m sorry!” but the silence didn’t feel any friendlier.

“He probably wouldn’t want me, either.”

Later, I heard mom’s car pull into the driveway. After a bit, I heard mom climb up the steps and come to my door. I heard her twist the knob and realize the door was locked. She muttered an expletive and stomped away to her room.

I silently sobbed into my pillow. What in the world was I going to do?








We are on Day 22 of my serial, Angel on Assignment: The Book of Morgan. After every thing that has happened, Morgan feels more alone than ever.


If you have missed any of the previous posts, click on the title, "Angel on Assignment" in the upper right hand corner in my side bar. It will take you to a page where you can find all links as they go live.



This serial is not intended to be doctrine. Scripture does tell us angels come to warn, bring messages and sometimes watch over us. It also tells us we could possibly unknowingly entertain an angel. My serial is just me imagining how that might look in our present day and time.

Tomorrow's offering: Gloom, Despair and an Answer to Prayer




This post was written as part of the Write 31 Days challenge. A whole group of writers will be writing for 31 days straight on a variety of topics. Click here to check it out.

~~~

I'm honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking on the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

I'm sharing my post at Anita's Inspire Me Monday.

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.