Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Day 17 - Good News



"... He came to help, to put the world right again..."


As I got off the bus that fateful summer’s day, I could hardly believe I was going to be treated like a normal kid. (I’m pretty sure Sister Clara had had a talk with all the leaders because everyone was unbelievably nice to me and I was treated like a queen.)

I was assigned a cabin to sleep in, a counselor to report to, and given a list of chores. Just like everyone else, I was warned to always stay with my camp buddy, a cheerful friendly soul named Heather who was just glad to be away from all her little brothers and sisters who evidently made life miserable.

I was in love with the whole camp. I loved the lake where it was situated, as well as the dorm/cabins that dotted the landscape. I loved the quaint little chapel. It was a toss-up whether the mess hall or the nightly bonfire was my most favorite place.

I could eat all I wanted! I could giggle with other girls until past midnight. The freedom was just unbelievable to me.

I wished I could stay there forever.

Every evening we came together at the chapel to hear different speakers, and finally I began to learn about Jesus, God and heaven. Oh, I’d heard plenty from Grandma and Sister Clara; but this is the first time it all came together in my mind and made sense.
“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn’t go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person’s failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him. John 3:16-18 MSG


Who wouldn’t want Jesus as the Savior and Companion? Who wouldn’t want to be forgiven of every bad thing they ever did or thought?  Who wouldn’t want to live in Heaven where they would never have another bad day ever?

One night around my beloved bonfire, I told Jesus I was His and I sang the song, “I Have Decided to Follow Jesus.”

No turning back, no turning back.

But unfortunately, I did have to go back home.







We are on Day 17 of my serial, Angel on Assignment: The Book of Morgan. Morgan gives her life to Jesus, but not everything is sunshine and roses afterwards.


What do YOU think? What will happen next?

If you have missed any of the previous posts, click on the title, "Angel on Assignment" in the upper right hand corner in my side bar. It will take you to a page where you can find all links as they go live.

This serial is not intended to be doctrine. Scripture does tell us angels come to warn, bring messages and sometimes watch over us. It also tells us we could possibly unknowingly entertain an angel. My serial is just me imagining how that might look in our present day and time.

Tomorrow's offering: A Season of Waiting




This post was written as part of the Write 31 Days challenge. A whole group of writers will be writing for 31 days straight on a variety of topics. Click here to check it out.

~~~

I'm honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking on the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

I'm linking this post with the community at #TellHisStory, where there are some great writers sharing their work. Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. This post is a blessing! I worked at a camp many summers and loved it. You learned the gift of God was for you. It sounds like camp changed you dramatically.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.