Sunday, October 14, 2018

Day 14 - Moving Day




One Saturday night after I’d been sent to bed, I snuck back up to go to the bathroom and overheard some surprising news.

“I guess there is no help for it but to move into my mother’s house,” said Mom. “I hate like anything going back there, but I can’t sell the place and I can’t keep two places up. At least there, I won’t be making any rent payments.”

Jamie said sympathetically, “So even after dropping the price, no one will buy it?”

“*** No,” Mom angrily ground out – “No one wants to live where that monster lived.”

“Monster? I thought, “I don’t understand – everyone loved Grandma Rose! People stopped by all the time to visit her!”

I must have made some kind of noise, because the next thing I heard,

“Morgan, I better not hear you up and about or I’ll come beat your scrawny butt!”

I scampered back to bed and wondered all night what Mom’s words could mean.

Sure enough, next Saturday at o’dark thirty, Mom pounded on my bedroom door and yelled, “Get up! We got work to do!”

I was told to pack up all my things and be quick about it. We needed to get this apartment cleared out.

“But why?”

“Never you mind, just do as I say.”

Thankfully, Jamie showed up to help and ended up making the day as fun as it could be – considering mom was a grouchy butt for having to move to Grandma Rose’s. There was a whole lot of mumbling going on; and, when she thought Jamie wasn’t looking, a lot of kicking things that were in mom’s way.

I made sure it wasn’t me!

Finally, we pulled into Grandma’s driveway – I was so excited to be back.

True, it wasn’t the same with Grandma not being there, but it felt so peaceful and homey, much nicer than our old apartment. Even at 8 years old, I knew not to say that in front of mom, though.

There was a garage for Mom’s car and a backyard with a couple of trees and rosebushes in it.

Jamie was looking the place over and exclaiming that it was just darling!

Mom rolled her eyes and said very little.

Inside, opening all the bedroom doors and peering in, I asked, “Mom, do you want to have your old room back?”

“NO WAY,” shouted mom, then glancing at Jamie, said to me, “It would probably be better for you to take that room. I’ll take the guest room.”

“What about Grandma’s room?”

Shutting that door quickly, mom said, “We’ll just leave that one be for now. Now go carry in all your stuff from the car and see if you can find places to put it in your room.”

Later that night after I was in bed, I was too tired to sleep. I heard murmuring in the kitchen but only made out one sentence, “Jamie, living here is going to be the hardest thing I’ve ever done.”

I just couldn’t understand why mom hated being here so much. To me, it was the next best thing to having Grandma Rose back. I whispered to God, “Thank you for letting me come back. Help mom to like it here.

And God? Please tell Grandma Rose how much I love her and miss her!”







We are on Day 14 of my serial, Angel on Assignment: The Book of Morgan. Join us as we learn more and more about Morgan's early life.

If you have missed any of the previous posts, click on the title, "Angel on Assignment" in the upper right hand corner in my side bar. It will take you to a page where you can find all links as they go live.


What do YOU think? Who is the "monster" Morgan's Mom was talking about? Why does she not want to go back to Rose's house? 


This serial is not intended to be doctrine. Scripture does tell us angels come to warn, bring messages and sometimes watch over us. It also tells us we could possibly unknowingly entertain an angel. My serial is just me imagining how that might look in our present day and time.

Tomorrow's offering: Unlikely Friend




This post was written as part of the Write 31 Days challenge. A whole group of writers will be writing for 31 days straight on a variety of topics. Click here to check it out.

~~~

I'm honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking on the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.







1 comment:

  1. I've been reading this over again and wondering when you will write some more! You could really publish this, but you need to write a lot more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.