Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The sounds of our lives.


I’ve always loved this quote:

“My point is that all those sounds together, or others like them, are the sound of our lives: What each of them might be thought to mean separately is less important than what they all mean together. At the very least they mean this: listen. Listen. Your life is happening." Frederick Buechner

His quote captured my thoughts. God gave me my life as a very special gift. I don’t want to waste it. Too often, dreaming of the future robs me of the now.

Listen to the sounds of life happening.  What is going on in your life right now?


Laughter, the first sound that comes to mind
. I love to laugh! With three daughters and their families and an extraordinary hubby, laughter happens a lot. Laughter means joy.

An everyday sound: the sound of typing. As a secretary with two jobs, who blogs and leads bible study discussions, a constant clicking sound of my keyboard fills my days. The sound of typing means employment, social and personal fulfillment.

Another sound found often around the home: the sound of appliances. Dishwasher washing, heater blowing warm air, or in the summertime the a/c blowing cold air, microwave beeping, washing machine agitating communicates the sound a busy household. I love to hear the sound of appliances working – it means convenience for me.

Some sounds are unwelcome such as the blaring of a television. Often, I long for the TV to be turned off to enjoy the sound of silence. Yet, I admit I enjoy watching certain programs. Each show has its own theme song. The sound of a certain program can signal a certain time of day. For instance, I know when I hear “Wheel of Fortune” that 6:30 p.m. has rolled around again. The sound of a television can mean the sound of entertainment.

I also love the sound of music, in particular, praise and worship music. The Word says: 


“Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.” Ephesians 5:19


I feel our “self-talk” sounds should be praise and worship, and speaking words of kindness to ourselves.

For a MiMi, the best sound of all is the sound of the grandkids! Oh yes, they can be a noisy bunch. Brody loves to make “V-room-V-room” sounds as he drives his trucks, cars and helicopters in play. Baylee loves to ask questions; and she also loves to stand in front of us reciting her made-up stories. Rory loves to watch her favorite show and make her bouncy chair jump as she hums and murmurs in baby talk.

I also love the sound of my kids and my hubby engaging in dinner-table conversation sharing details of their day.

Sounds like love to me.

What does your life sound like?

[adapted from an earlier post] 


~~~



I’m honored you stopped by the Journey today!

I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe. It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking one of the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

Today, I'm linking with the communities at #TellHisStory and #TuneInThursday.

1 comment:

  1. Love the quote and your post inspired by it.
    The sounds of my life right now have a lot of soccer sounds in it. The crowd cheering, the announcers talking (appreciate the British accents). I'm a fan of World Cup soccer. I love waking up at night with an oldie but goodie worship tune playing in my head. Happy first day of summer to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.