Monday, June 12, 2017

Scenic Overlook #1




Today, I'm introducing a new feature on the Journey. If our Christian walk is a journey, then it stands to reason along the way, not only will we encounter fantastic views physically, but spiritually, our eyes will be opened to something we have never seen before.

Scenic overlooks will be glimpses of scripture that open my eyes to something new, something not previously considered. I hope you will consider joining me to hear what I've discovered!


~~~

Anytime I see something about walking the Way, or anything relating to a Journey, I take notice. (After all, I'm all about the journey!) I came across Isaiah 35 on a day filled with doubts and fears swirling through my mind. 

I make it a practice to do some scripture writing on my lunch hour. As I gathered my things to go eat lunch in my inner sanctum, otherwise known as the church library, I whispered a prayer.

"God, I really need to hear from you now! Please give me a nugget of wisdom from Your Word."

The scriptures to write out that day were scheduled to be Isaiah 35:3-4 which basically says, "Do not fear ... He will come and save you!" 

"Thank you, Lord! I am so ready for you to come!"

I try to read things in context, so I went to Isaiah 35 and read the whole thing. These verses stuck out to me:


Isaiah 35:8-9 English Standard Version (ESV)
8 And a highway shall be there,and it shall be called the Way of Holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it. It shall belong to those who walk on the way; even if they are fools, they shall not go astray. 9 No lion shall be there,nor shall any ravenous beast come up on it; they shall not be found there, but the redeemed shall walk there.

Isaiah 35 is ultimately about God's restoration after the battle of Armageddon, but the Messiah has made a way for His children to walk from their sin to His holiness in the here and now. Those who follow in His Way will be safe walking there.





Two new things I saw here:

"Even if they are fools, they shall not go astray." Even if I make a dumb decision, I can't get lost! 

"No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast" When the enemy tries to scare me into thinking he is a lion out to destroy me, he can't touch me if I'm walking the path of the redeemed.

I think God answered my noon-time prayer.

~~~

I'm linking this post up with the community at Soul Survival.

3 comments:

  1. I think He did, too! I like your new idea. The way the scripture speaks fresh and new to us each time we read it, the way God uses it to communicate with us on a personal level is such a beautiful blessing.

    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fresh insight He gave you. God knows our hearts and knows our desire, or lack thereof, to please Him. I especially like the idea that when I make mistakes or do foolish things, He will care for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Jerralea (and love your name, btw!)! I love the verse that, as you pointed out, shows that even if we make a foolish choice or a mistake in some way, God will keep us on His path. Thanks for this encouragement today! (I just discovered your blog and am glad I did! I'll be subscribing.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.