Friday, June 30, 2017

Being a Blessing

I like to regularly post about the blessings God has given me- sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly. But today I am joining in with the Five Minute Friday community discussing the word "blessing," and thought I'd take a different path ...



I love to receive a blessing as much as anyone! Blessings sure make life richer and sweeter. But sometimes instead of receiving, we need to give.

How about BEING a blessing?

The truth is, some people will never go to a church or open a bible, yet what they know about God will be what you've modeled to them.

Will they see an unforgiving sad-sack who dines regularly on pickle juice?

Or will they feel warmth, kindness and love everytime they are around you? 

It's up to you.

Oh, I'm not saying that you should gush over everyone you come in contact. That kind of fake, saccharine-sweet behavior doesn't fool anyone. But a genuine interest displayed by a humble person will go a long way in representing Christ.

We are His ambassadors, you know. Let us represent Him well.

~~~

When thinking about the idea of being a blessing, I remembered this old hymn we sang when I was a child, "Make Me a Blessing." I love the line, "Out of my life, may Jesus shine."

I would love to have that said about me!



Make Me A Blessing

Out in the highways and byways of life,
Many are weary and sad;
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife,
Making the sorrowing glad.

Make me a blessing, make me a blessing,
Out of my life may Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Savior, I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

 Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love,
Tell of His pow’r to forgive;
Others will trust Him if only you prove
True, every moment you live.

Give as ’twas given to you in your need,
Love as the Master loved you;
Be to the helpless a helper indeed,
Unto your mission be true.

(Lyrics by Ira Bishop Wilson)


Want to hear more about "blessing" and the Five Minute Friday community? Go here.

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.