Thursday, April 21, 2016

Redeemed





You might be a Christian, if you ... are one of the Redeemed.

What does the word redeemed even mean?  According to Strong's Dictionaries of Greek and Hebrew, the word translated redeemed, exagorazō, means to buy up, that is, ransom; figuratively to rescue from loss (improve opportunity). 

Our sins held us ransom and Jesus paid the cost.

The wages of sin is death, the bible tells us, and for those who trust in Christ, He paid the price. He paid our sin-debt by giving His life on the cross so that we wouldn't have to die as payment for our sins. 

Instead, for those who wish to accept His sacrifice, He gives us a gift - eternal life - and a future in heaven.

Redemption is a beautiful concept to a Christian. In fact, we like to sing about it.One of the great hymns of the church, written by Fanny Crosby, is this wonderful song:

Redeemed—how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy,
His child, and forever, I am. 

(Chorus) Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child, and forever, I am.

Redeemed and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell;
I know that the light of His presence
With me doth continually dwell.

I think of my blessed Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long;
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song.

I know I shall see in His beauty
The King in whose way I delight;
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps,
And giveth me songs in the night.


So, the question is, have you been redeemed? Redemption is free to all.


You just have to ask.





~~~


I'm so glad you are here! Follow me each day as I attempt to define what a Christian is ... and isn't. 

I'm always interested in your thoughts. Let me know if there is a word Christians use that you don't understand. I'd be interested to write about it.


This post was written for Day Eighteen of my A-Z Blogging Challenge series, "You Might Be a Christian ... from A-Z." Go here each day to see all of my posts each day as they go live.


If you don't understand how a person becomes a Christian, you might want to visit my page, "A Ticket Home." 

If you'd like to read more A-Z offerings, visit the A-Z Home Page to view a plethora of A-Z links. With approx. 1300 bloggers participating, there is something for everybody.

5 comments:

  1. I am redeemed and I have been ransomed :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful song. I just love that word, redeemed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this song and There is a Redeemer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not perfect, but I am redeemed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "To rescue from loss".....Wow, does that ever have about a zillion layers of meaning!! I'm so thankful that I have been rescued from eternal loss by Jesus! This is a very powerful post, Jerralea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.