Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Disciple


You might be a Christian, if you ... are a Disciple


What is a disciple? The term is defined as "one who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrines of another." You could be a disciple of anyone, such as a disciple of Dave Ramsey's money-saving principles, or Ghandi's policy of non-violence.

While the term "follower" and "disciple" are closely related, disciples are considered more zealous and have a devoted allegiance to their teacher. Followers tend to fade away when the way gets tough, but disciples believe in the message so strongly they persevere in spite of struggles.



Jesus had a lot of followers who thought He was going to be an earthly ruler. He had fewer disciples that hung in there with Him when it was revealed His Kingdom was a spiritual Kingdom and not an earthly one.

The most famous disciples, of course, are the Twelve Disciples that Jesus called into partnership at the beginning of His earthly ministry. He had others, though; and as the time for His earthly ministry drew to a close, He commissioned them to go, tell, teach and send; thus perpetuating a stream of disciples spreading the doctrines He himself taught.

And that's what changed, and is changing, the world!

~~~

Are you a disciple or a follower? Why or why not? Leave a comment, I'd love to hear about your journey!


I'm so glad you are here! Follow me each day as I attempt to define what a Christian is ... and isn't. 

I'm always interested in your thoughts. Let me know if there is a word Christians use that you don't understand. I'd be interested to write about it.


This post was written for Day Four of my A-Z Blogging Challenge series, "You Might Be a Christian ... from A-Z."  Go here each day to see all of my posts each day as they go live.


If you don't understand how a person becomes a Christian, you might want to visit my page, "A Ticket Home." 

If you'd like to read more A-Z offerings, visit the A-Z Home Page to view a plethora of A-Z links. With approx. 1300 bloggers participating, there is something for everybody.


7 comments:

  1. You described it well the difference between follower and disciple :) When the going gets tough, the disciple does stick around. I like to think I'm a disciple :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your description of followers and disciples. We never really know where we stand until that tough stuff comes, do we? Then what's in our heart is exposed and we must make a choice on being just a follower or really and truly and disciple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devoted. Yes, Jerralea, that's the kind of disciple I want to be ... totally in love with my Redeemer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting post!! When I was in Roberts Wesleyan College for my undergrad (faith-based, Christian college in western NY), we learned that follower was someone who wanted to do what Jesus did.....wandering after Jesus so to speak....and disciple was simply "student of Jesus". I think I'm both!! I follow after Him (walk the way He leads me...at least I sure do try!!) and I study the Word and what He says, etc. Love your posts lately!! Sure wish I had time to blog every day. Will have to wait until work ends in June. Here in NY we don't have Spring Break until the last week ofApril this year and I will be traveling down to PA to visit a university with my youngest :) probably won't be blogging much.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post. Well said. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You put it very well! I'm a disciple! Sometimes a weary one, sometimes the one leading the charge, but always His.
    Revisit the Tender Years with me during the #AtoZChallenge at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard that the words "disciple" and "discipline" have the same roots. This is how I came to realize the same thing you've written in your post: disciples are followers with strict obedience. :)

    JEN Garrett's Lexical Creations

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.