Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Savoring

On the weeks we have "Pot Luck" at The Loft, any post on any topic may be linked up. As I was considering what my post at The Loft might be for this week, I recalled a promise I had made the girls over at Friday's Fave Five to do a post sometime about the amazing soups we've been crushing on over at the Journey.

What better pot luck post could there be than soup?

Well, if you're a reader of mine, you know I like to link up feasting physically with feasting spiritually. Just as we enjoy savoring really great food, words of truth from the Word need to be served up and enjoyed.

Speaking of savoring our food, there are other things we need to savor. Savor means to taste and enjoy it completely. Our sense of smell has a lot to do with savoring. Aromas are so important.

Have you ever tasted something so yummy, you rolled it around on your tongue to prolong the taste awhile before swallowing?

When it comes to scripture, we need to do the same thing. Don't just rush through reading a scripture passage, but linger. Read it slowly, both silently and out loud. Examine each phrase before going on to the next one. Let your heart cry out to God for understanding.

Somehow, the act of writing out a scripture passage impresses it so much more upon my mind.

And when I'm done? I truly feel I have feasted upon His word.


Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him! (Psalm 34:8)
Now, let's talk soup.  I have found some amazing soup recipes over the internet. What a resource! When I started out as a young homemaker knowing only how to make Texas Casserole, cheeseburgers and banana chiffon cake, I would have been thrilled to have had the Internet and Pinterest for instruction and inspiration!

I love all the soups I am about to share with you. I will give you the links to the original post wherever possible and share any changes I made when serving these soups to my family. You can also find most of them on my Soups board on Pinterest. (If you're not following me on Pinterest - you should!)




First up, is Slow-Cooker Creamy Tortellini, Spinach, and Chicken soup. It is totally yum-o. This is one recipe I don't change a thing - except sometimes I add more chicken broth and cream to stretch the broth of this soup. It. Is. So. Good.

It's kind of a toss-up whether my family loves this soup or Rotisserie Chicken Soup with Salsa more. This is a simple soup that has tons of flavor. And it even got my pickies to eat zucchini - something I've never been able to get them to eat (unless I battered zucchini slices and fried them).

One thing about the Rotisserie Chicken Soup is ... I've never actually used a rotisserie chicken in it. I always have packages of cooked shredded chicken waiting in my freezer for my soups and casseroles. 

A soup I made recently was Deep South Dish: Meatball and Vegetable Bowtie Soup. Jim and I really liked it. The girls are not as crazy about meatballs but they did eat it.  I buy the half-sized meatballs at Kroger because I like the little ones better.

My son-in-law likes when I make Santa Fe Soup which I found on the fabulous Lisa Spence site, Lisa Writes ... (Lisa is a Friday's Fave Five blogger from way back ...) I just want to add that I learned to drain and rinse the cans of black beans because if you don't the taste of the black beans overpowers the soup. Hmm... I'm feeling like I need another batch of this soup made ...

Then there is this fabulous Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup I like. I adore creamy soups.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup is always a hit at my house. Since you microwave the potatoes separately you can whip this one fairly quickly.

I can't talk about soup without sharing my personal favorite soup:  Chipotle Pumpkin Soup with Chicken and Barley. I love it so so much. My family doesn't. Have I told you? They. Are. Picky. But any reasonable soup lover would love this soup! I mean it is one of Edie's recipe. Edie, from lifeingrace, the ultimate soup whisperer. You need to check her out.

Ok, so those are the six soups I'm savoring right now. But soon there will be more, because I have to try White Chicken Chili, and Chicken Pot Pie Soup, and Pizza Soup and ... and ... and.

If you'd like to read more about my ideas on feasting on food and the word, click on Feasting for a plethora of recipes and scriptures.

I'm linking this post at The Loft, a fabulous group of Christian bloggers. Come see what they are serving up today!




I'm also linking up this post to the community of Christian bloggers at Grace and Truth:


Grace&Truth-300x300

You can find a plethora of great posts at any of the links below:

Grace&Truth-Hosts2-2


Satisfaction Through Christ
BLOG
 | FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | TWITTER |G+

7 comments:

  1. All your talk about savoring our food and savoring the Word of God brought to mind a book of Eugene Peterson's called Eat This Book. I am always challenged by his creative words. He cites Isaiah 31:4 ". . . as a lion growls over his prey" and, using the illustration of his own dog with a bone, he urges us to a rigorous and vigorous reading of Scripture.
    As you have today!
    Thanks, Jerralea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum on all those soups; I'm going to be checking out the recipes and planning to make a few of them over the next few months of cooler weather :)

    It is so important to savor the Word of the Lord indeed. I've been doing that a lot these past weeks with reading through the gospels; to really stop and think about things and then do some extra research on words, etc. Its been very savoring :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post about savoring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Jerralea! I really enjoy soups, in the winter especially. My favorite is split pea, but I also really like a soup my husband makes that's a knock-off of Olive Garden's vegetable one. They are so filling and satisfying!
    Just like the Word, right? And just as nourishing too.
    Your soup place on Pinterest sounds really good. I'll have to check it out!!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness...those soups sound divine. I'm going to have to try them, because we are soup eaters at our house. Thank you for the recipes! What a perfect post for PotLuck at The Loft!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you've shared about savoring God's Word is so very true! There are such rich treasures there, just waiting for us to unearth them. I'm glad you shared this with us at Grace & Truth. :) You're an important part of our community!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.