Friday, March 2, 2012

ACHING TO SET THE CAPTIVES FREE




This Friday's 5 minute writing challenge was to write for 5 minutes straight on the word, "ache."



ACHE

I decided to look up the word ache in the dictionary and one of the definitions was to feel compassion for someone - to ache for them.


I think the time I most "ache" would be when I feel compassion for those who just feel that something is missing in their lives.  They just can't put their finger on it but they know something is missing.


It's been said that everyone has a God-shaped hole in their spirit.  If they don't know God, they might try to fill that hole with things that don't satisfy.  Temporal things.  Things that harm instead of fulfill.


This week, there was another school shooting.  I have not read much about the incident, but I did discover that the shooter was considered odd and felt bullied.


I wonder if anger had filled his God-shaped hole so much that it spilled out in the form of violence towards his classmates.


Our job is to help fill those holes with the good news.  God cares and He sent His Son to set captives free from bondage.  I ache when I see evidence of one more soul that just didn't "get it."


STOP


5 Minute Friday is a writing challenge hosted by Lisa-Jo at her blog, The Gypsy Mama Blog. 

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I like this Friday challenge. Hmmm...maybe I will give it a try. My blog is rather random these days...perhaps a bit more structure / rhythm would be good for both my blog & I :)

    - and that thing you mentioned at my end...about how your daughter hangs scarves that way...when I saw that I tho't it was SO clever & practical too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.