Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thankful Thursday-A Season of Busy


This month's Thankful Thursday hostess, Iris at Grace Alone, wrote about being thankful for a new season of busy-ness in her photography business.

I found it interesting that she would be thankful for being busy because so many people nowadays are always saying that being busy is a bad thing. In fact, my friends and loved ones are often saying to me, "You're too busy.  You need to slow down."  My favorite admonition comes from my hubby, "You're going to fall over if you don't get some rest." Thanks, Honey!

It is true that we need to monitor our activities.  A lot of stress could be avoided if we "just said no."  I am going to work on that, really, I am ...

But like Iris, I can find things to be thankful for in a busy season.  First, it means you're needed!  How many people are there who would love for someone to need them to do something?

People need to be needed!  One thing I've learned in working with the church all these years is that rarely do you get volunteers.  Most people feel that their talents are not good enough for whatever project you've got going.  They might think, "I would like to help with that class (or party or whatever) but Sister So and So could do a much better job than I could ever do..." However, if you come to them and say, "We could really use your help.  I know you would be great at helping us," they are more willing to give it a try.

Secondly, I really feel that is scriptural to be busy.  I may be wrong, but I don't see that we should be idle.  If you know a scripture to support taking it easy, please let me know! This morning, I happened to read this scripture:   "Continue to do good" 1 Peter 4:19.  Elisabeth Elliot says she thinks this scripture means "just do the next thing."

If you are in a season of busy and feeling overwhelmed, just keep doing the next thing. Prioritize, then start with the most important and work on that. Once that's done, do the next most important thing, and so on. If you never get to the last thing on the list, at least the vital things were accomplished.

I am so thankful that I recently came through a busy season.  Two months ago, my daughter became engaged.  The happy couple wanted to get married while the groom was on leave - in two months!

I had never had a child get married before.  Being the procrastinator that I am, I waited a few weeks to really get down to doing what needed to be done! I am so blessed that my son-in-law's family was very good to help do a lot of the work.

It all worked out well, with very few glitches.  I am thankful the kids did not ask for a big fancy wedding.  Simple worked out best with our timeline.

Next came Thanksgiving.  I was so excited that my mother, sister and nephew were able to stay after the wedding to share Thanksgiving with us.  It was the first time in 34 years that I had someone from my side of the family present at our Thanksgiving table!

Then the following weekend, the kids needed their furniture delivered to the base in Oklahoma.  Always willing to help, we joined up with Daniel's parents to drive a loaded trailer out to them.

Whew!  I feel tired just typing about it.  But also, I feel so thankful!  What if I had no children to give a wedding? Or no family to cook for on Thanksgiving? No reason to travel across a couple states and see a new home established?

God has blessed me mightily with my family, friends, and areas of ministry! I am so grateful!

Janae and Daniel cutting their wedding cake - a cake made with love by his mother and aunt!

(I will post more wedding pictures tomorrow!)






To read other thankful hearts, visit December's TT hostess, Iris at Grace Alone.

4 comments:

  1. I know the Bible doesn't advocate idleness but it does command us to rest (Exodus 23:12). Also, Matthew 11:28-30 says, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." I think sometimes we allow ourselves to get too busy and then we lose God somewhere in the busyness. I'm also reminded of the scripture that says, "Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). These scriptures remind me that after all the busyness I must make a place restoration. During this season, God has me prioritizing my life; putting Him first and honoring my family over some of my other responsibilities. I'm still busy but with the proper priorities in place, I don't feel so overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Wedding photo. (our wedding was a Thanksgiving wedding in 1972)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, thought of Ps. 46:10 as a passage that tells me to rest in stillness with my God. My schedule has clarity and yes, I do get the vital things done.
    Re: volunteers in the church. I like to think of them as "servants" who do as God directs. Volunteering seems "optional."
    I like your reference to Elisabeth Elliot-I wish there'd be a revival of her books and ways of living out the Christian life. Thanks for your visit to my blog for Thankful Thursday. blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Sweetie your post is a blessing to us.. Lovely photo of the happy couple ... Super~Hubb's and I find its not as hard as some would say to be thankful even in our busy~ness this time of year...
    It is sooooo helpful too, when we join in on it together like through this TT blogging day...
    I'm very thankful for blogging days like this...
    This is my 1st Thankful Thursday so I'm visiting some..
    God"s blessings on you today and throughout the weekend too!!!
    Hugs Dena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.