Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It seems there has been some interest in the Amish Casserole recipe I mentioned in Monday's Daybook post. I promised that if it turned out well, I would post the link to the recipe.

I decided to make the Amish Casserole for dinner last night, even though only 3 out of the 5 in our family was home. The verdict? Two of us thought it was yummy, and one didn't. However, everyone knows that my family is a group of picky eaters - except for me. I love almost all foods, except sushi, liver and greens. I thought the casserole was great, so I think most of my bloggy friends will too.

I found this recipe at Jen's Balancing Beauty and Bedlam at her Tasty Tuesday blog party. Unfortunately, I did not save the link to the person that posted this recipe (I usually do save that info) but this recipe is actually from Allrecipes.com (I also tried going back to Jen's TT post to see if I could find who posted this, but Mr. Linky had disappeared! This strengthens my resolve to copy every link of everything I ever save - you never know when you might need it!)


Amish Casserole

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/8 teaspoon black pepper 1/4 teaspoon salt

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of

chicken soup

1 (12 ounce) package wide egg noodles

10 slices American cheese

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain and return to the pan. Mix in the cream of chicken soup until noodles are coated.

3. Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the grease, and stir in the tomato soup, brown sugar, pepper and salt. Spread half of the beef in the bottom of a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Arrange 5 slices of cheese over the beef. Top with half of the noodles, then repeat layers ending with cheese on top.

4. Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is browned and sauce is bubbly.

… from Allrecipes.com

The only variation I made to the recipe is that I used slices of Velveeta for the American Cheese.

Try it, you'll like it!

1 comment:

  1. I will try that...it looks like something that my kids would actually eat. And that's saying a lot. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.