Friday, May 15, 2009

Friday's Fave Five- May 15, 2009

Yay! It's Friday! It's time to reflect on our week and decide our 5 Favorite Things:

1. Sunday was Mother's Day! This is now one of my favorite days of the year, but it wasn't always so. When I was struggling with infertility for 10 years, Mother's Day celebrations became painful to me. When I finally became a Mother, my first Mother's Day was spent in a hospital! That's right. Can you believe it? My daughter caught an eye infection (paraorbital oculitis, I believe it was called) and she had to be in the hospital on IV's for 6 days. Since she was only 11 months old, I stayed with her night and day, and that's how I spent my first Mother's Day. Since then, Mother's Day has become a highlight of the year. I always get to go out to eat, and for the last couple years, we take my mother-in-law out on Saturday for Mother's Day, so I get two meals out!

2. My second favorite thing is my new bike. This is my Mother's Day present from my hubby. I know it's just a bike with no speeds and coaster brakes, but that is what I'm most comfortable riding. And it's true, y'all, that once you've learned to ride a bike, you can get back on and ride one no matter how many years later it is.


Here she is, my new Huffy blue bike. My very first bicycle was also a blue Huffy!

3. My next favorite? Fresh flowers! And even better, free fresh flowers! A couple ladies at the church were discussing their gardens. I chimed in with saying that is why I love my digital camera - a non-gardener like me can enjoy someone else's flowers without all that labor. An hour later, one of the ladies came back to the church with a big bouquet of flowers for me!



A closeup of peonies and iris blossoms


Fresh flowers for my desk

4. My newest favorite quote:
"A sanctified heart is better than a silver tongue."
Thomas Brooks
Instead of always saying what you think others want to hear, sanctify (or set apart) your heart. Don't be like everyone else! Set your heart's desires on God.

5. Thursday night: My hubby and I put down a new bathroom floor. It's definitely a favorite because the old one had been there since 1981! I'm sore, though, from crawling around on my knees as we laid the tile ...

Would you like to hear how everyone else's week went? Join the crew over at Susanne's Living to Tell the Story!





14 comments:

  1. Your list sounds like a Thankful Thursday post. :) Sounds as though you were truly blessed this week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great week!! Mother's day has been a day with mixed emotions for me for years too, but now I can really enjoy it and celebrate. Wonderful eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your list. Mother's day, a new bike (BTW I love the color), fresh flowers and a new bathroom floor. Wow - wonderful list.
    Totally agree with you about the quote. Happy Friday and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerri, loved the list. And I'm jealous of the bike; that is exactly the kind I'd want. No bells or whistles. Well, OK, maybe a bell.) One of my very favorite flowers is the peony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jerri :)

    Happy Belated Mother's Day.The Peonies and irises are gorgeous,what a thoughtful and kind friend you have.Thanks for the comments on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bike!

    What a generous and thoughtful lady to bring you flowers from her garden - they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list, Jerri!

    Thanks for sharing your Mother's Day background with us.

    From one non-gardener to another, those free flowers sure are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jerri, Thanks for stoppin by my page! I love reading your FFF Its great! A new bathroom floor, YAY! We just got done with our floors! The flowers are beatiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore peonies! So beautiful and what a sweet thing for that lovely lady to do!

    I've been becoming more and more aware thanks to the blog world that Mother's Day is a very difficult day for some precious women. I'm glad yours is now happy.

    I looove the blue color of your bike!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog!! AND I LOVE YOUR BIKE!! Nothing like coaster breaks! Have fun riding with the wind in your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your list. And fresh flowers are so cheerful to me, too. I absolutely love it when spring comes and I can cut roses and freesia from the backyard and enjoy them in my kitchen! How sweet that you were blessed with that gorgeous bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your post! Those flowers are georgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for visiting my blog the othe day

    bless your hubby
    hope your still enjoying your bike
    I have a bike
    I got it last year
    I got a bit sore from riding it being older than I use to be :)
    I prefer walking now

    awww I LOVE your 3rd fav bless her and they are beautiful :)

    enjoy your new bathroom floor too :)

    have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you just love when people go out of their way to be thoughtful like that. How kind of her to give you those flowers!

    And...that was sweet of your hubby to give you that bike. The last time I rode a bike was two years ago, and I still get sore just thinking about it...lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.