Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What's on Your Mind '09 Is it Ever Wrong to do Right?

It's time for "What's on Your Mind, '09!" If you'd like to participate, visit Shane at Heart Reflections. This week's question:

Is it ever wrong to do right?

This question was very puzzling to me. How can it ever be wrong to do the right thing? After mulling it over, I thought perhaps we can do the right thing with the wrong attitude.

It is possible to do the right thing with an attitude of self-pride. Remember, the Pharisees kept the law meticulously all the while feeling as if they were better than everyone else. What did Jesus call them? A bunch of snakes! (vipers)

It's also possible to say the right thing with a tone of condemnation. I'm reminded of the scripture:

"Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. " Ephesians 4:15

I think those two little words in that verse "in love" is key. Yes, we are to do the right thing but always do it in love. In love, seek the Lord on how to say what needs to be said. In love, seek the Lord on how we could do what is right and needful.

If you go on to read the rest of the passage in Ephesians, you see that Paul tells us (the body of Christ) to join together as "supporting ligaments" and build each other up in love.

I believe we must always do what's right, but do it with a loving Christlike spirit, and that's what's on my mind!

1 comment:

  1. Jerri - i love how you ended the post... and thats whats on my mind! Great thoughts... since we all seem a little stumped, I guess its good we didn't major in philosophy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.