Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Green Peas




"If I eat my veggies,
will I grow up to be a
basketball player?"





My baby learned to walk eating green peas! It’s true! Well, technically, she learned to walk in her walker eating green peas …



As a first-time mom, I was very conscientious to not feed my baby anything but breast milk until 6 months of age. Once I started introducing solid foods, I followed my doctor’s instructions of trying one new food a week. First, she tried all the baby cereals, then all the fruits, then she started the vegetables. I felt like the orange colored ones would taste best, so I gave her carrots, then sweet potatoes, and finally squash. Now it was time to try the green vegetables.



I had gotten in the habit of feeding her in her walker. She had one of those walkers that had a tray all around it and toys attached to it. She loved it but had never taken a step. So, on this momentous day, she was sitting in her walker. I had already given her some cereal and applesauce, which she enjoyed – I know that because she waved her arms and cooed after every bite (her way of showing enjoyment).





Then I decided it was time for a spoonful of peas. A look of surprise crossed her face and she spit it out. Determined, I scooped the peas off her chin and popped it back into her mouth. She then vigorously took a giant step backwards! I followed her and put another spoonful in. Another step back, and then it clicked in her little brain! She could walk in her walker, and walk she did, albeit, backwards!



Sometimes, unpleasant circumstances (or learning yucky things) force us to grow in a new direction. "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11 The reason why many live a "one-crisis-after-another" life is because they resist discipline.



Is there something you are going through leaving a bad taste in your mouth? Be assured that if you accept discipline, eventually you will grow through the trial.



Did my daughter ever learn to like peas? I served some the other night. She did eat a spoonful ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.