Tuesday, July 22, 2008

WFMW - Keepin' It Visual



If you're like me, you need to be reminded about things ... a lot! It's pretty sad when you have to drive with mail in your hand to remind yourself to go to the post office. [I wrote about this earlier here.]


Since I am a visual person, I write myself notes. Many many notes. However, it's easy to misplace notes so I came up with a perfect place to put them. I bought a deskpad calendar and write my notes on it. It has to have lines on it because my writing is atrocious and because I cannot write in a straight line without a ruler.


The beauty of this system is this: you can plan your week and write it all down in one place so that nothing is forgotten. The only thing you have to do is remember to look at it! And if it is someplace you are every day, you'll be sure to see it. My desk is somewhere I'm every day. [Ok, the fridge is somewhere I am every day, too, but that's another post.]


It's also a great tool to help you with deadlines. Do you do a monthly newsletter? Is it always due the last Thursday of the month? That day can be marked as a deadline on your calendar, then you can mark the day before to actually print it [just in case your printer breaks down, you have time to get it fixed]. Back up a couple weeks and mark different days to actually write the newsletter, deadlines for others to submit their articles to you, etc. You can't forget about your deadlines because they are ever before you in black and white.


Other uses: marking birthdays, due dates on bills, noting the date supplies were ordered, etc. Another benefit is the great feeling I get when I check off all the things I've done that day! I love to feel I've accomplished something.


There's one last thing I love to do with my deskpad calendar. At the end of the month, when the page is all crumpled, messy, and stained with coffee I rip it off. There's a beautiful clean page waiting for me to fill in the blanks ... a new month, a fresh start. It works for me!


For more ideas to help you organize your life, go see Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer.

3 comments:

  1. Great tip. My husband does this and it is so helpful to him. Maybe I should trade in my scrap-paper to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea... I used to do it but I haven't gotten a new one in a few years. You're so right, too, it works! AND it IS a refreshing feeling at the start of the month!

    My dad gives these suckers away at his office, too, so I don't even have to buy one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my WFMW! I hope your linens won't make you crazy anymore. I love your idea of keeping your "notes" all in one place. But you're right - you gotta look at it! I actually love any idea that will help me stay organized. I've had to hold the mail to remember to go to the post office, too. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.