Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Scenic Overlook #3: FOMO


Scenic overlooks are glimpses of scripture that open my eyes to something new, something not previously considered. I hope you will consider joining me to hear what I've discovered!



Since time began, man had the idea that maybe God was holding something back. Eve is not the only one who had such thoughts.

If you think about it, all sin can be traced back to the real fear of missing out. We know God has said not to do certain things but we feel like the pleasure of the sin will be worth it. Why wouldn't He want us to be happy? To have fun? 

Later, after consequences from our disastrous choices come crashing down upon us, we are anything but happy...

Several thousand years after Eve's debacle, Jesus came to teach us a new way of life.

And as always, the best way of living means thinking differently. After all, insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results.

In His most famous sermon, Christ taught us to not worry about our daily provisions. He says "Don't worry about what you'll eat, what you'll wear."

And then He said, "Don't be anxious."

This was not news to me, but this time reading the admonition regarding anxiety, I saw the original word, the ancient Greek word meteorizesthe, with the root word meteor, translates to raise in mid-air, that is, (figuratively) suspend (passively fluctuate or be anxious) [Strong's Concordance]. Some translations render the word doubtful, unsettled and worried.

I always study the different translations to see if something brings clarity  I love Eugene H. Peterson's take on this passage:



“What I’m trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don’t be afraid of missing out. You’re my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself. Luke 12:30-32 MSG

I feel the whole point of the sermon Jesus gave that day is that if you seek Him first, everything else will fall into place. There is no need to fear missing out - God wants to give you His best!

He's a good, good Father, you know ...


~~~

I'm sharing this post with the community at #TellHisStory.




1 comment:

  1. great post! one that I need to hear right now with all the uncertainty of our sons future. I am very anxious these days. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.