Thursday, June 12, 2014

Surprise Visitor

Google Image
As a newly-married homemaker, I prided myself on keeping a clean, neat and attractive home.  I tried my best to always clean up the kitchen immediately after dinner, especially because the front door of our home opened right into our kitchen/living room area.

However, one day ...

My husband was out of town at a training seminar.  My cousin, Renda, was staying with me while he was out of town.  We had finished dinner and she had a ball game she wanted to watch on television, and a good book was calling my name.  Not even bothering to clean off the table, we headed to the couch for an evening of rest and relaxation.

Okay, I'll be honest - the breakfast and lunch dishes were sitting there, too. It may or may not have begun to smell a little funky ...

So, deep into my whodunit, I heard someone knock at the door. I looked around - Renda had seemed to disappear, so I went to the door, and flung it open. There stood my friend from 1,000 miles away, the maid of honor at my wedding, standing there smiling at me! Surprise!

I quickly shut the door without saying a word and glanced around my pig-sty house desperately.  Perhaps I was imagining the whole thing?  I opened the door again.  "Oh, it really is you!  I thought I was imagining you. Come in, I'm so glad to see you!"

We went on to have a wonderful visit while hubby was gone.  My cousin was in on the whole thing, and I've forgiven her for not warning me I should clean up my house that day... well, I've pretty much forgiven her. My friend, to this day, loves to remind me about the time I shut the door in her face.

And that, my friends, is why I'm a firm believer in cleaning up any messes made. Immediately. You never know when you might have a surprise visitor!


 
Mama’s Losin’ It



This post was written in response to Writer's Workshop prompt 1.)  A blog post inspired by the word: surprise. If you'd like to join in the fun, link up at Kat's blog, Mama's Losin' It.

So, have you ever had a surprise visitor?

8 comments:

  1. Jerralea, I LOVED this story! It is a reminder to me of why I need to get out of the habit of leaving things while I rest a bit before cleaning up! :) I would be so totally embarrassed some days should someone come knocking at my door! :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great story!! I have been surprised by flowers, but not really by people. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that just the way it goes!? I with you, I try (TRY) to always clean up right away. And I agree with Dianna, I would be embarassed some days because I don't always get my clean up done promptly.

    I will try harder after reading this though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute story and good moral at the end to clean up messes. I bet in the end you loved seeing your friend :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a funny story! I would have been pretty embarrassed too but how nice for you to see your friend. Sometimes I leave dinner dishes soaking, if they're not too many but I really hate to wake up and find them in my sink the next day. Yes, I've had surprise visitors but I don't remember the state of my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh Jerralea, that is so funny! You just got so surprised you shut the door on her? If I was outside that door, I'd be giggling like crazy!

    What a great story! And you know, what's a few dishes between friends? She probably didn't even notice. She was there to see YOU :)
    Have a great weekend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing worse than leaving a sink full of dirty dishes only to get discovered. I liked your response to her surprising you. Very cute. m

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.