Thursday, January 16, 2014

And then I don't feel so bad ...


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZxenBiwno1UtdWsoLFWTXinF1jGOBeOzB-I4j47l3efo7mVunFA

I always loved the song Maria sang in The Sound of Music, "My favorite things."  Thinking of her favorite things cheered her up when she felt bad.

"I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad"

I, too,  believe dwelling on positive things makes a person feel better.  Now, I don't know if remembering one of my favorites would take my mind off being bitten by a dog, as the song says; but remembering favorites helps keep my attitude where it should be.

So what are some of my favorites?

Sweet tea with lemon, please:  Either homemade or picked up at the McDonald's drive-thru, a tall tumbler of sweet tea just perks me up. I so look forward to it, and oh!  the disappointment if the tea tastes less than stellar...

M & Ms:  I know I'm not the only one that reaches for chocolate to soothe my troubles away. My candy of choice is M & Ms, followed closely by Hershey's Kisses. My favorite way to eat M & Ms?  One at a time, sucking the candy coating off and letting the chocolate dissolve slowly.  I like making them last as long as possible.

Getaways:  Sometimes, a person needs a change of scenery.  My favorite thing to do is to go on a mini road trip.  Just getting way for a few hours can often change my perspective.  My hubby and I usually go for some kind of scenic landmark, preferably close to water.  Sitting beside a lake, river or pond seems to help tension disappear like magic. Sometimes we talk a lot, other times we just bask in God's presence enjoying His handiwork.

Denim duds:  I love wearing my jeans.  Sometimes slipping into my jeans after being dressed up makes me feel so much better.  It's like being refreshed and ready for the next part of my day.  One reason why I love Fridays so much is because I can wear jeans all day.  Come to think of it ... on Fridays I just feel better all day.  I thought it was because of the anticipation of the weekend, but maybe it's the jeans!

My favorite thing in all the world is my little humble home.  Walking through its doorway after a trying day is like slipping into something comfortable.   I just feel ten times better.  My people are here.  My possessions surround me with an atmosphere of love and peace. It's good to be home.

What's your favorite things?  Are you like Maria and love schnitzel, mittens and kittens? Or is blue jeans and chocolate more your style?

Leave a comment, or link up at  Kat's blog, Mama's Losin' It and share.

Mama’s Losin’ It



This post was written in response to Writer's Workshop prompt 3.) Five of your current favorite things.

3 comments:

  1. definitely blue jeans and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely chocolate! I love the mini Cadburry eggs that are only available at Easter. I found some at Walmart the other day, and my heart sang. I eat them the same way you eat m&ms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a good pair of jeans! Especially if they fit just right. Can't say I've ever eaten M & M's that way...interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.