Friday, November 22, 2013

The Wings of Man

FLY

I've always been fascinated with flying.

When I was a kid, my dad got a job as a ramp service man at Eastern Air Lines.  He was so proud of that job!  I was, too.  I loved telling kids my dad worked for the air lines.  Sometimes, they assumed that meant he was a pilot.  I didn't bother correcting them ...

Because Dad worked for Eastern, we were able to fly for practically free with a standby pass.  I loved sitting by the window when we flew and looking down at the clouds, houses and lands below.  I always looked up out of the window, too, hoping to see some sign of heaven.

Eastern's motto was "The Wings of Man," and every time my brother and I flew, we received little gold pins that looked like wings.  We loved wearing them.

It's funny, really, that I loved flying so much when I consider that I have a great fear of heights ... but inside a massive 727, flying just felt like your living room lifted up and took off into the air.  I never thought about what if the plane started going down instead of up.

Since I've grown up, and Eastern went belly-up, I haven't been flying.  I miss it.

One day, I will fly again; and this time, it will be without benefit of a wide body 727. I won't need "The Wings of Man."  I will fly to meet Him in the air and it will be such a quick trip, I won't have to worry about my fear of heights.

Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

(To learn more, read 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)

STOP



Five Minute Friday

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..


Sounds like fun, yes?  If you want to join us, go to Lisa-Jo Baker.com.

5 comments:

  1. Visiting from FMF! I was always fond of flying because it meant I was going on an adventure. I didn't fly a lot as a kid, but when I did, it was memorable. I can tell that your memories flying with Eastern were happy ones. Free from adult fears. Lovely!

    Christy @ A Heartening Life
    www.ahearteninglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. I love your memories of flying on an airplane as a kid. It reminds me of my own. Sweet and lovely. Visiting from 5 minute friday. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jerralea
    Oh, I can just see you as a little girl in that BIG airplane looking up into the endless skies hoping to catch a glimpse of heaven. I remember how I as a little girl used to wonder if Jesus was living above the clouds. That is about as far as our little minds could grasp I suppose! Yes, that is going to be a glorious day when we meet our Lord Jesus when we are caught up in the clouds. I also cannot wait to also meet you all. How was your revival week at church?
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing such lovely memories. and i had to laugh as you said you'd look to see if you could see heaven. one of our littles once asked us as the plane took off if she'd be able to grab ahold of Jesus' feet!

    lovely write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy reading here! You always bring it back to the Lord! I appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.