Thursday, October 3, 2013

Turn, Turn, Turn

Suppose you had made a big mistake.  You agonized over it and tortured yourself with thoughts of "How could I have been so stupid?" and "If only I hadn't done it."  You wish desperately that you had a second chance.  If you did, you sure wouldn't do the same thing again.  You'd make the right choice this time.

I'm here to tell you that you CAN have a second chance.  In fact, in God's eyes, it can be as if it never happened. (People aren't as forgiving!)

Say what?

That's right.  You can have every sin, every mistake cleaned off your record and God will never bring it up to you again.  When He forgets, He casts it into the sea of forgetfulness and never fishes it up again.

It's free.  You can't earn this forgiveness because if you could you'd end up taking credit for it.  If it was possible to earn it, then Jesus wouldn't have had to become a sacrifice for sin.

It's called grace.  Unmerited favor.  Receiving something you don't deserve.  It's crazy but that is what God offers us.

But wait!  I don't want you to think this is cheap grace.  You do have to do something.  First, you have to admit you messed up. (We already talked about this.)  You have to believe that Jesus is who He says He is.  (Your spirit, if sincerely seeking, will know.)

Then count the cost, because you have to TURN from your old way of doing things.  That is what repentance is.  Turning your back on the old you - your old sinful ways of living life.

Because once you accept Him as your Savior, you are a new creation.  The old you dies and the new you is guided by the Holy Spirit.

It's a mystery.  I don't understand it, but I know it works.  It works for me and countless others.

To every thing there is a season.  (Turn, turn, turn.)  Let the season of grace begin for you.


Here are scriptures for further study.  Check me out and see if I'm right!:

  • Romans 3:23
  • Romans 6:6-7
  • Acts 3:19
  • 2 Corinthians 5:17
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Micah 7:19




This post is Day 4 of my series, 31 Basics for Believers.  You can find all the posts here.

i'm doing it!

I'm linking my series to a whole passel of bloggers who are blogging on one subject for 31 days.  There are topics for everyone!  If you like to join in, visit the Nester at her blog, Nesting Place.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jerralea
    Oh, the most wonderful turn I have made in my life was the day when our Pappa revealed to me how hard I was trying to live the Christian life. I had to repent of all my good intentions to come before Him in poverty to receive our Lord Jesus as my life. It took a while for me to unlearn my old ways of doing things, but what a joy it is when He lives His life in and through you!
    Much love XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.