Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Feasting: Taste, Tasty and Tasteful

We are more than just bodies.  We have a spirit, a soul, mind and emotions.  To thrive we need to feed all areas of our lives.

God speaks about thirsting for righteous.  Living by every word that the Father speaks. Eating of His body and drinking His blood as the sacrament of communion.

It all comes down to taking in of the good stuff and not allowing garbage to come into our bodies by eating unhealthy things, listening to unholy words, or viewing material that certainly is not meant to uplift the spirit.

Today, I want to take in something for the spirit:

Psalm 34:8  English Standard Version (ESV)

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
    Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!


Have you ever been to the grocery store and see the different vendors who are giving out samples of their wares?  They would like you to taste their sample hoping you will then buy their product.

Just give God a taste - just try living for Him.  If you take refuge in Him - abide in Him, He promises to bless you.  What a deal!

I also want to share something tasty for the body:



My version of croque monsieurs which are hot ham and cheese sandwiches topped with bechamel and more cheese.

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • Pinch nutmeg
  • 12 ounces Swiss, freshly shredded (5 cups)
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
  • 8 croissants
  • Mustard
  • 8 ounces honey ham, sliced but not paper thin

Here's how I did it.

I preheated my oven to 400°

I started off by shredding the cheese in my new handy dandy cheese shredder I found while yard saling one day.  (Anyone know what it is called?)  All I know is that it was super easy to shred instead of using my usual hand grater, or dragging out all the paraphernalia needed to use my food processor. Then I just took it apart and stuck the pieces in my dishwasher. Easy-peasy.





After the cheese was shredded, I made the bechamel sauce:

First, I melted butter in a small microwavable pan.  Then I whisked in the flour, salt and pepper, dry mustard and nutmeg. Once the mixture was smooth, I whisked in the 2 cups of milk.  Then I microwaved the mixture a minute at a time, stirring with a whisk in between each minute. Once thickened, I stirred in the Parmesan and 1/2 cup of the Swiss.  Stir until smooth, then set aside.

Next, I sliced my croissants in half, placing each half on a baking sheet.  (It takes two baking sheets.) Then I toasted the croissants, four minutes in the oven, then flipping them over and baking for an additional two minutes.

To assemble the croque monsieurs, I spread mustard on the bottom half of each croissant then piled ham and a handful of swiss cheese and topped it with the other half of the croissant. Once all the croissants were assembled I arranged them on one baking sheet and liberally spread the bechamel on each sandwich. Sprinkle with the remaining Swiss cheese.  Bake for 5 minutes, then put under the broiler for an additional 3-5 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

Yum!

Lastly, I wanted to show you something tasteful for the eyes to look upon:



My new chevron runner I got off Etsy at the ThePreppyOwlBoutique.


Love!








I'm linking this post at the community of  #TellHisStory writers because I think His story is that He wants us to feed our spirits AND our bodies.  You can link up at JenniferDukesLee.com and share YOUR story.


I'm also linking at Time-Warp Wife's Titus 2sDay:





3 comments:

  1. What a blessing to come here today, Jerralea and read about the food for our souls, spirits and bodies!

    Your sandwich looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Jerralea! Looks l like you've got it all covered. You are such a good blog-hostess :). Thank you for your feast for the eyes and soul today.

    Happy Wednesday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious. I'm all for melted cheese and ham.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.