Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 8 - Be One Who Edifies


I'm continuing my series on Encouragement today with a discussion on edifying. 

Before I begin, I want to clarify the purpose of this series.  My aim is to encourage the believer - one who has already accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior.  If you are not a believer, much of what I write may not make sense to you.

If you'd like to be a believer, you must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and repent (or turn) from your sins. That is the gospel in a nutshell, and if you'd like to discuss it further, please email me.  I would be honored to tell you more.

Now then, let's look at being one who edifies.

I looked up the word edify, and the American Heritage Dictionary says edify means to instruct especially so as to encourage intellectual, moral, or spiritual improvement.  Webster’s New Millennium Dictionary says to build, construct, to establish. 

Back in the day, when my husband and I were in Amway, we were taught in order to build your business, you always edify your downline (associates). You tell of the things they are doing right. You build your business by helping them build their business.   How much more should we be edifying our brothers and sisters in Christ?

Ephesians 4:29 (NIV) 

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

We're in this together!
There are a lot of things that are true that do not need to be said.  If you are going to say something that will not be helpful in anyway, don't say it.  I do realize that sometimes a person does need reproach or rebuke, but please, pray before you say it, and privately do it in such a way that it builds the person up.  They should be aware that you love them and you are only saying it for their own good.

I feel strongly that if you are a member of a body of believers, you always speak well of them.  Your children and your neighbors should not be hearing you, "roasting the preacher for dinner,"  or gossiping about Sister So and So.

I love to quote Thumper in the movie, BAMBI:  "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Remember (again) the law of sowing and reaping.  You will reap what you sow.  Sow edification into the lives of others - you'll receive it back.

Tomorrow we will begin taking a look at encouraging the most difficult one of all - ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.