Thursday, May 31, 2012

Night Owl vs Morning Person

Today, I chose this prompt from the Writer's Workshop to discuss:  Is your child a morning person? Share a story, picture or list of reasons that supports your opinion.

Morning person, you say?  No way!  

I have three daughters and all of them take after their father:  night owls, all.  There is not an early riser in the bunch.  Except for me.

In fact, one daughter is an extreme night owl.  By that, I mean she gets her best ideas, produces the most work and generally just feels on top of the world late at night.  So late, that most of the time, I am snoozing away in dreamland when she is ready to get to work.

Conversely, when I wake up, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to take on the world, she is a zombie.  She walks through the house silently with no expression as she eats breakfast and gets ready for work.  I used to watch her eat cereal with her eyes closed.  As her spoon lifted from the bowl, her mouth automatically opened.  Swallowing the spoonful of cereal, her hand automatically dipped down to the bowl to scoop up another spoonful. The scary part was she never missed!  I would have made a mess if I tried to eat while asleep.

More annoying than sleepwalking or eating with her eyes closed in the mornings is the fact that she. Does. Not. Want. To. Talk. Just ask her a simple question in the morning and you will either get a shoulder shrug, an eye roll, or a cold, cold look of disdain.

She needs a full hour to elapse after waking up to begin to respond normally.  Two hours are even better.

The same rules apply if she takes a nap.

Once she is fully awake, she is bright and energetic and will entertain you hours on end with anecdotes about work or life in general. 

Remember, twilight is the time to ask if she will be home for dinner the next day, what her weekend plans are, how her day went, etc. Unfortunately, since I am a morning person and cannot function at night, I can't stay awake long enough to remember her answers!








I'm linking up at Mama Kat's blog, Mama's Losin' It.


2 comments:

  1. That is a great post Jerralea!
    I am a night owl, per say, but one for creativity~ I am NOT a morning person, yet I wake up between 6-7am. but I probably didn't go to bed until between 2-4am. So, IF I have a chance I need a nap or go back to bed around 8-9am. It isn't a good routine, but I seem to be stuck with it. My hubby is home 4 nights a week, and he never goes to bed before 7am. So the TV runs all night with movies on. He also sleeps until 3-6pm. We have a wild time trying to fit sleeping in our schedules...and I don't work outside the house except for all the babysitting I do~ LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I go to sleep everyday at 9pm unless I have some special event to attend. In the mornings I love to sleep in! Thanks for sharing and God bless!

    http://afragileclayjarwithatreasureinside.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.