Friday, July 11, 2008

The Stabilizer of the Universe

"… He sustains the universe by the mighty power of his command …"
Hebrews 1:3 NLT




He came by the church asking for a Bible. He said he was a student of the Bible, yet did not own one. He mentioned that he often suffered from amnesia and that he lived in the same small town that I live in.

As Bro. Mark handed him a Bible, he gravely informed us "God is using me to be the stabilizer of the universe."

"Really," I murmured as I tried my best to keep from laughing.

"Well, I must go," he said, "my ride is waiting for me." Waving at us, he turned and went down the hallway. The Stabilizer had holes in his pants!

For next few days, we had lots of fun recalling this incident. We regretted not going to the door to see what his ride looked like – perhaps it was a limo!

 Occasionally, one of us would say, "but Jerralea won’t have to worry, the Stabilizer of the universe lives in her town!" Or, "there’s no need to fear, the stabilizer lives here!"

One day, it clicked. Wait a minute! The Stabilizer does live in my town – in fact, He lives in my house. He lives in me. Of course, God is the stabilizer of the universe. Hebrews 1:3 says He sustains the universe. Stabilize and sustain are similar. Stabilize means to make stable or steadfast; sustains gives support. Our God is more than capable to do both.

I can rest easy.  He's got this.


~~





I'm linking this post today to A Little R & R's linky party.  You can link up here.

6 comments:

  1. I have never read that verse in The Message. I like it.

    If he can stabilize the universe I need to be pretty confident that he can stabilize any situation I may face, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually just blogged what a ponyshoe is. I feel the world would be better off if everyone could have a ponyshoe.

    Ok, the number of heartattacks would triple, but man, good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leaving you post on my blog.
    I'm finding great emotional stability knowing that our days are in HIS hands according to Psalm 31 and the Lord orchestrated every detail of my dad's home coming perfectly.
    I did have 2 days with my dad 2 weeks before he died and I will always tresure that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Wonderful truth. Would love to know if you ever meet this traveller again.

    So glad God sustains me,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great story! Actually you never know how God will use that small act of obedience of giving out a bible to do amazing and incredible things - I hope you will keep up posted at how the stabilizer (with the holes in his pants) is used by The Stabilizer to impact someones life. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poor guy. I wonder what his life was like that he wound up in that place. That's good that he asked for a Bible. The Lord works in wonderous ways and reaches even those of us who are unreachable, so to speak. Praise God.

    Come to think of it, John the Baptist went about in hair clothes eating locusts...people probably said 'poor guy' about him too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.