Do you ever find yourself smiling back because someone smiled at you first?
Today, after a busy morning, I stopped at the drive-thru at a local BBQ place. When I gave my order through the speaker, the voice on the other side just sounded so perky.
When I got to the window to pay and pick up my food, I could tell by the voice that this was the person who had taken my order. She was wearing a huge grin and said, "Hey, I love your shirt."
"Why, thank you!" I found myself grinning right back at her.
Smiles are contagious. (Also, I always love any compliments on my clothes!)
Seriously, it is hard to be a grump when someone is smiling right at you.
In my novel, the mother, Sharon, has spent a lot of time being a grump because she is bitter.
But she had a true friend, Jamie, who was gentle and loving. Morgan, Sharon's daughter, explains for us what would happen when Jamie came over:
"The bright spot in the week was when mom's friend, Jamie, would come over and play pinochle with mom on Saturday nights. There'd be pizza, Pepsi and laughter going on. I wouldn't understand the jokes, but just to hear laughter made me giggle, too.""It was a strange experience to see mom change into a smiling laughing human being. If only she'd act that way when it was just the two of us."
See, even a grump melts when there is laughter. It's contagious!
(Don't worry ... Sharon does get her joy back, eventually.)
Who can you encourage today with a smile or some giggles?
~~
This is Day 10 of taking my reader along a journey with me as I birth my book. I hope you consider checking in daily (except on Sundays!) to see my progress.
~~
I write for believers, but if you are not a believer and would like to know more, visit A Ticket Home. to find the way Home.
Sharing at Let's Have Coffee
All photos created in PicMonkey by Jerralea using personal, family and stock photos. Please do not copy

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.