Tuesday, October 27, 2015

31 Days of Life Stories - #27

Drive Thru Mishaps - we all have them. Some miscalculate the height of their vehicle and the awning over the drive thru window. When my daughter worked at Hardee's, a truck driver did that once.

Or sometimes there is a misunderstanding at the speaker that has to be worked out. Those are always fun.

Once I had a vehicle where the electric window quit working, so at the drive thru I had to pull the car up far enough to open the door and receive my food. Loved doing that!

But my ultimate fear when approaching a drive thru might be something that few experience. See, I don't know what it is about me, but I have attacks of uncontrollable giggles. It happens at the weirdest times but usually during weddings, funerals or drive thru runs.

It only happens at a drive thru if I have someone in the car with me. If I'm driving by myself I usually am not talking so I can control myself. But if I pull up to a drive thru speaker mid conversation and  somehow I get tongue-tangled and say something incorrectly. Once I hear my own mis-pronounciation it will strike me as funny and then it is all over. The person at the other end will only hear chortling, snickers and wheezing. They will ask me to repeat my order and I will be incapable. Tears will be streaming from my eyes. At this point, the other person in the car will have to lean over me and shout our order into the speaker.

I always pray the line in front is slow so I will have time to compose myself before I have to drive up to the window to receive my order. I try my best to not look the drive thru person in the eye because if I do, the giggles could start up again. 

Most of these struggles happen at Dairy Queen. I don't know why ...

Once I drove up to a Long John Silver's drive thru with my mom and my aunt in the car with me. We always are silly when we get together anyway so I was terrified of the possibilities to humiliate myself. I made it through ordering okay, pulled up to the window and paid. Then breathing a sigh of relief, I jumped back into the conversation as I pulled away from the window ... without the food! It was discovered before I left the parking lot, thank God. Instead of getting back in line like any normal person would, I backed up the car to the drive thru window and laughing like a hyena managed to ask if my food was ready.

Sometimes, I'm afraid to take me anywhere.









This post is #27 in my series, 31 Days of Life Stories. Hundreds of writers are linking up at the 
31 Day Writing Challenge hosted by Crystal Stine. There is a wealth of information on many topics. Go visit and see! I'll be posting under the category "Inspiration and Faith."

4 comments:

  1. How cute with the drive through stories :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know I better drive if we ever go out on a drive-thru run! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.