Thursday, July 2, 2015

I'd rather be a ...

Photo by freedesignfile.com
Summer is the absolute best time to be a kid. Whenever school lets out, I start thinking back to when I was a kid.

I sure had it good then! 

Today, I'm remembering the top 10 reasons why life was good when I was a kid:

10.  As a kid, I slept as long as I wanted.  Now, as an adult, I have only one, ONE, day a week that I might sleep in - and what happens?  My internal clock wakes me up at the usual time and then there is no sleeping for me.

9.  As a kid, I never worried about what to wear. Shorts and a tank top sufficed. Who cared if they looked good together? Comfort was key. Although I am all about comfort even now, as a Mom and Mimi, shorts must be a certain length and sleeveless tops are a no-no. It's important to me that my clothes match and look good. I'm doing my part keeping America beautiful. 

8.  In my childhood days, I went barefoot as much as possible, indoors or out.  Now my barefoot days are strictly inside the house.

7.  I've always loved to read. I used to spend days reading one book right after another. Now, I'm lucky to finish a book in a week.

6.  Meals magically appeared on the table when I lived with mom and dad.  I didn't cook them, plan them or have to pay for them. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I even had to help clean up after a meal. It's a different story nowadays when it seems a good portion of my days are spent thinking about meals, cooking, serving and cleaning up afterwards.

5.  I spent a lot of time in my childhood in my imagination, acting out stories for fun. I made up new stories daily. I just didn't. Write. Them. Down. The difference now is that I do write them down instead of acting them out. (After all, it would be weird for a grown woman going around pretending to be a spy or a scientist.)

4.  I stayed up as late as possible as a kid during summer. I thought I was really something if I got to stay up and watch all of the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Nowadays, it is a special treat if I can be in bed by 9 p.m.

3.  I spent a lot of time in my room, reading, dreaming or just chilling. No one ever bugged me. (Well, sometimes my brother did, but not often.) As an adult, it can be difficult to find even 15 minutes to be alone.

2.  I could eat anything as a child.  Actually, I still can, but now there are consequences.

1. The number one reason I loved being a child was no responsibilities. I never worried how much groceries cost, how the light bill would get paid or how to provide Christmas gifts for the family. If something was broken, my parents took care of it.

Ahh, it was a great life.

BUT, if I was still a kid living that life, I wouldn't have my husband, kids or my grandkids. There'd be no internet, cell phones, or Netflix. I've grown used to making my own decisions and running my household my way...

The truth is, I have a great life now, too. I'm thankful!


Mama’s Losin’ It

This post was written in response to Writer's Workshop prompt # 5. Who has it better, kids or adults? List 10 reasons why you would rather be one over the other. Which would you rather be? Comment below, or link up your own post at Mama's Losin' It.

10 comments:

  1. Just thinking about being a child again brings smile upon smile across my face. But, like you, it's also great to be a mother and a grandmother and see the smiles of youth on their faces. You just might say, every season of life is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's good in each stage, though I do wish I could still eat Hostess cherry pies! :) Yum. But now they make my head spin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list. My favorite (because I relate) is the no sleeveless shirts/no shorts in order to keep America beautiful. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always good to remember our youth and then be grateful of our present :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jerralea! I was a champion sleeper myself. Now, I can't and I miss it :(

    I also remember just wearing shorts and a tee-shirt. My husband and I just went shopping for summer tops, and I decided I really should start cutting back on sleeveless tops. I have a lot of arm wiggle!
    Happy 4th to you and yours!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! I can relate to all your points. :) nice to think back on those days but I love my life now too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your list and mine are similar. I spent a lot of time in my bedroom, but I also cherish the times I spent outside with my brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your list and mine are similar. I spent a lot of time in my bedroom, but I also cherish the times I spent outside with my brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your list and mine are similar. I spent a lot of time in my bedroom, but I also cherish the times I spent outside with my brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This just made me want to go back to childhood. Absolutely carefree, worry free, fun life.
    Love the list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.