Monday, April 13, 2015

K is for King Ranch Chicken and Knowledge

I love to make casseroles to take to potlucks. Usually they are well-received and any leftovers can be lunch for the next couple days..

King Ranch Chicken includes a lot of my loves, such as chicken, cheese and Rotel. It's also pretty easy. I've had this recipe saved for a long time. It was shared by Nessa at Homemaker Barbi. Evidently that site no longer exists, so I cannot link back to it.



What You Need:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups chicken broth
1 can Rotel tomatoes & green chilies
12 corn tortillas, cut in quarters
1 3 to 4 pound chicken, boiled deboned, and shredded (or use turkey, or 2 cups pre-cooked shredded chicken)
1 large onion, chopped (I like to use purple, but any will do)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

What You Do:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl combine soups, chicken broth, and Rotel. Mix well and set aside.

Grease a 3 quart casserole dishes well.

Layer half the tortilla pieces, half the onion, half the shredded chicken, and half the cheese. Top this with half of the soup & broth mixture.

Make one more layer of tortillas, shredded chicken, and onion, then pour the rest of the soup & broth mixture on top, then add the rest of the cheese.

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.



I've written before of my love of chicken cooked, de-boned and shredded, and frozen for future meals. You can totally make use of this pre-cooked chicken in this recipe.

I'm glad for the culinary knowledge about the convenience of cooking chicken ahead. Makes life easier. But I'm even more excited about spiritual knowledge.


By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. 2 Peter 1:3 New Living Translation

Another way to put it:  So what we need will be given us by His divine power as we know Him more and more. 

How do we get to know Him more?

We know Him more and more by talking to Him - and listening - (prayer), by reading the Bible (His love letter to us), and by the "community of God’s people” – [phrase from David Gusik]. The community of God’s people can be found at your local church by gathering together, worshiping  together, praying for each other and learning together.

Everything you need to live a good godly life -- it can be yours!



During April, I’m participating in the A-Z Challenge.  Over  eight hundred writers (as of last count) will be posting in various categories. Visit here to see a list of all the fantastic bloggers – a veritable smorgasbord of entries to feast upon!


6 comments:

  1. Hi Jerralea .. sounds a very good recipe to take to a party, or add to a potluck - and I bet goes down a treat with many of the diners.

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerralea! I just showed my husband this recipe, and he said "Looks really good! We could make that." We've been dieting for six months, avoiding carbs, so I wonder if I could make this without the tortillas?

    No wonder your dishes are so well received. If they're all like this one, I'd be lined up behind that casserole too!
    Monday blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. We don't have Rotel available here. I love that God has already given us everything we need to live a godly life and all we have to do is get to know Him and stick close to Him and His divine power will take care of the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted you to know that I have been lurking about with almost no time to comment. now i have a broken finger it is hard to comment. I will be using lots of your recipes! and the spiritual wisdom you share is being taken to heart! Thank you Jerralea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! I think I'll make this. I'm having an ongoing conflict within about carbs, so this looks GREAT, but aargh should I eat it?!

    Very nice blog. Visiting from a to Z

    Susan at
    clearingspace4joy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That recipe sounds delicious! I like something like this that is relatively quick to put together for a potluck :) And of course potlucks have no calories :)

    So true on ways to get knowledge and it is reassuring that if we ask for wisdom, God will give it to us :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.