Friday, October 11, 2013

Show Up


I've been covering the basics of a child of God's Christian walk in this series.  I would be remiss if I didn't write about the need for Christian fellowship.

A while back I covered Hebrews 10:25, which says this:


Hebrews 10:25 Amplified Bible (AMP)

Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [as believers], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing (warning, urging, and encouraging) one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching.

I had a little feedback saying that one does not have to be a church member to be a Christian.  I agree.  Church attendance does not make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car.

No, going to church doesn't make you be a Christian, but I think it helps you stay one!

There are those who are physically unable to attend services.  I totally understand that and I believe God certainly takes that into consideration.  There are many wonderful Christian television programs that the discerning Christian can find to receive spiritual food.  Hopefully, there are local Christians who visit the shut-in and bring fellowship and communion to them.

However, there is no getting around the fact that the early church believed in fellowship.  They broke bread together every day.  Imagine that!

The plain truth is that we need each other.  We need the church family for fellowship, accountability, mentoring, exhorting, prayer, and even sometimes rebuking.  We work best when we do life together.

Why do you think Hebrews 10:25 was put in the Bible? If you read the whole chapter you'll see that we need one another to provoke us to love and do good works. We are supposed to fellowship with other Christians MORE as we see end times approaching.

Folks, it seems more and more that we are living in perilous times.  I think we should make more of an effort to find a like-minded body of believers with which to live life. 

Whether it is a church, home bible study, or a cell group, find a bible believing group of people and SHOW UP!


For Further Study:


  • Acts 2:42-47
  • James 5:14

This post is Day 12 of my series, 31 Basics for Believers.  You can find all the posts here.


i'm doing it!

I'm linking my series to a whole passel of bloggers who are blogging on one subject for 31 days.  There are topics for everyone!  If you like to join in, visit the Nester at her blog, Nesting Place.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally need other believers in my life. We are to be there for each other. This life is sometimes hard enough never mind trying to do it on our own. I don't know what I'd do without my church family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.