Friday, April 9, 2021

Life's Pressures




I've been experiencing something weird lately:  a low-level thrum of anxiety experienced in my body. I can tell it especially when I'm tired and maxed out. I can feel it in my limbs right down to my toes.

Between all the "have-to's", the "should do's" and the "want-to-do's", my body says, "Sorry, no can do!"

The choosing is about to kill me!

I vote to forget the "should-do's." Anybody with me?

So, doing what I know best, I go look in God's Word. I look up pressure in The Passion Translation, because I figure the King James Version doesn't use such a modern English word, and I find this:

We look away from the natural realm and we focus our attention and expectation onto Jesus who birthed faith within us and who leads us forward into faith’s perfection. His example is this: Because his heart was focused on the joy of knowing that you would be his, he endured the agony of the cross and conquered its humiliation, and now sits exalted at the right hand of the throne of God!
So consider carefully how Jesus faced such intense opposition from sinners who opposed their own souls, so that you won’t become worn down and cave in under life’s pressures. After all, you have not yet reached the point of sweating blood in your opposition to sin. Hebrews 12:2-4 TPT


If I'm going to do like Jesus did, I'm going to focus on the joy ahead of me. That's how He fought the pressures of life.

How do I do that? Well it seems to me my word of the year for 2021 comes into play. Seek. If I seek Him first, the Word promises me all the less important things will be given to me. Abundantly. (Yes, it really says that! Look here.)

I figure that means the answer to life's pressure will also be given to me.

The joy set before me is an abundant life lived in union with God. He never gives me a burden too heavy for me because He shares it with me when I hang out with Him. Someday this will be a reality in my resurrected body.

Today it's a reality in my spirit, and I must keep reminding my emotional self to clue in the physical.

How do you handle life's pressures?

~~~

I just want you to know how highly I value those of you that make your way to the Journey to read my words! I believe encouraging others with the written word is a worthy calling. Thank you especially to those who respond. You make it worthwhile.
I don't want you to miss a post, so why not sign up to subscribe? It's easy-peasy. Just enter your email address in the sidebar right above my profile.

If a post resonates with you, please consider sharing by clicking one of the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.


12 comments:

  1. Life's anxieties and to-do's can get to us. I like how Jesus focused on us and his job. And now we do the same. We focus on him and our job set before us. This means keeping our eyes on Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently had to make deep cuts into my obligations. It was painful at first but oh so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerralea, we are the same page this week. My post is about panic attacks and we ended up neighbors on Anita's linkup. I think that's more than a coincidence. I love your perspective. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUr pastor preached along these lines on Sunday! From Romans 8 there are 8 Biblical truths with power! He called them "Power Pills" and he shared that he reminds himself of these truths every single week. for example: 1. NO ONE can condemn me. (v 1), another one was I am no longer a slave to fear! (v.15), etc. I couldn't help but think that if we all "swallowed" these power pills each day, we would be far less anxious or fearful or "down" or whatever negative emotion you're feeling!

    I also have learned to set boundaries around certain things...even things like ministry...in order to re-charge or re-focus on Jesus.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found when God wants me to make changes, to withdraw from activities or change activities - sometimes He has to make me mighty uncomfortable so that I realize that what I am feeling is not me being faithless to God's calling (because if I trust then I can push through, maybe if I just tried harder? - yes?) but He is letting me know He is calling me to new different things and giving me permission to "quit" (which is so very hard to do).

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so simple: look to Jesus. We handle everything in our lives better when we look to Christ. SO...why do we always have to be reminded of that? I am grateful God is faithful to remind us of these simple truths over and over—as many times as I need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the reminder to change our perspective and focus on the Lord, then our priorities shift! My word for the year is strategic - which has meant putting some things down and considering carefully what I commit to because pressure is often self-inflicted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jerralea, yes, I may have needed this post. There's been a lot of pressure in my life, coming at me from a lot of different places. I like how you used TPT to help you find a translation to help with the modern word of pressure and what it means today. I also appreciate your reminder to go to God's word first. When I'm in the thick of the stress, I tend to spend some time spinning before I calm down and get to God's word. That needs to change. Thank you for that reminder. He is the only One who can ease the pressure we feel in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jerralea, I loved this post! My word for 2021 is Joy, and I often think of the passage here in this post. So often I forget where to place my focus and allow the current pressures to squelch my joy. Thank you for this reminder today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how your word is helping to sift through all the choices and challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful realization! Looking forward to the joy will help relieve the pressure :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been feeling a thread of anxiety running through me this week too. I think I'm starting to get overwhelmed at the thought of life returning "to normal" at too fast a pace. But you're right that we can drop the "should's" and that will always help. The Lord will always give us the right amount of time to do the things he wants us to get done. Thanks, Jerralea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.