Thursday, June 11, 2020

In the beginning ... and image bearing ...

Dear readers, I have missed you.

The journey has been quiet the last couple weeks because ... well, I can't even deal. I've been an emotional wreck.

You, too?

I've thought and thought about what I could possibly say in a helpful and encouraging manner. I don't want to be another voice yammering in the wind.

I do my best thinking while driving. This morning, there were all kinds of thoughts swirling in my cranium. Lassoing one of them, I examined it and realized I often think this when overwhelmed; go back to the beginning.




In the beginning was God. And He decided to create. What's the first thing He did? 

He made light. And to this day, light is associated with goodness.

It's interesting light came first. Light is an aspect of His character.

This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5 NKJV

And being full of light and good things, He went on to create a beautiful world, teeming with plants, animals and color and beauty. He then crowned His creation with image-bearers.

So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27 NLT

Each human that walks the earth is an image-bearer of God. Now, having never seen God with our own eyes, we are not exactly sure what it is in each of us that looks like Him. Could it be the spark of life in our eyes where our soul shines through? Our creative process that each person has the ability to say or do something in their own unique way? I don't know, but He said it Himself: We are made in His image.

Granted, some act as if they don't know they are a creation of God. Man can act in carnal baseless ways, trampling over the rights of others and harming and yes, even killing a person bearing the image of God. They do it physically. They do it spiritually. They do it emotionally. They do it ignorantly. They do it wilfully.

This should not be.

And this is why we need a Savior. On our own, we cannot come up with enough solutions to keep all the image-bearers living in peace and harmony. Only through Christ can there be peace.

One of His names is Prince of Peace.

He is the Light of the World. Only in Him can each image-bearer see, really see themselves. Unless you can see the problem, you can't turn from your wicked ways. He's promised to help if you want to make a fresh start.

And if you do? Well, then, as I see it, a person who has accepted the gift of a fresh start is now empowered to become a light.

“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

In this time of turmoil, I want to shine my light.

Join the conversation: What are ways we can shine our light?

One way might be to listen, really listen to what our brothers and sisters of color have to say. Let us listen twice as much as we talk! 


*Read the creation story here.

~~~

I'm linking this post to the communities at 

1 comment:

  1. I am doing the Redefined Study by Well Watered Women Co with a young woman in my church who I am mentoring. The author of the study starts in the beginning, with Adam and Eve and is building her way through the Bible to showcase from Whom our identify comes from.

    I had always heard and used the term "image-bearer", but the author of this study referred to Believers as Image-Reflectors, and I thought, what a timely and appropriate word picture for us as Believers. When we are reflecting Christ in our thoughts, words and deeds, His light will shine before men, and then, one Believer at a time, will dispel the darkness of hate with His marvelous light.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.