Friday, July 19, 2019

Don't be Distant!



Today I’m joining the Five Minute Friday group of writers who are free-writing on the one word prompt, distant.


I always like to look up the word prompt first before writing. Here is a condensed version of what dictionary.com said about it:


Distant – far away in space or time, remote – or aloof, reserved, detached


Today, I’ll include both meanings in my writing.




[GO]


When I think about a far away space, I always think of missionaries in distant lands ministering to the natives and telling about Jesus. However, the bible says the gift of the Holy Spirit gives us power to witness about Christ, both at home and in remote places.

But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Acts 1:8 (NKJV)


In the book of the Acts of the Apostles, we are told we are to witness in Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria and to the end of the earth. To the original group of people who received this commandment, it would have meant, “witness to those at home (Jerusalem), then to your region (Judea), then to neighboring countries (Samaria) and finally across the seas (to the end of the earth).”


First, you witness to the people around you. Your Jerusalem, in other words. And of all the groups mentioned, this is the group that will probably be the most resistant to your words – because they know you best! But your witness is not limited to your words – it includes your actions. Your example. Living life among them.


This is where the second meaning of the word distant comes into play. You can’t expect to make a difference for Christ if you present yourself as a distant, uninterested party.


[STOP]


A believer can only be an effective witness if he jumps in with both feet and does life with those around them.

Hey! I know it can be pretty scary.

That's why this assurance was given:

... and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20 (NKJV)



~~~



I'm linking up with the Five Minute Friday community as well as with #FreshMarketFriday.

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts here! I love how you bring our different aspects of the word "distant" and how it relates to mission. So grateful that God is never distant but that he is there to help us whether we are witnessing near or far from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting what a word prompt can bring to mind! As I read your post the memories of my time on the mission field in New Delhi & Vanuatu flooded my thoughts. Great post!

    You're most welcome to join me in a cuppa,
    Bless you,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. That old jumping in and doing something. Many times I draw back instead.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I consider each comment a gift.